Timeline And Storage Clarification

Decorating By evbunt Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 7:18am by xstitcher

evbunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evbunt Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:33am
post #1 of 5

Okay, now that I finally have the cake, icing, decorations all soaked into my brain and know what I want and "think" I know what I'm doing, I'm trying to figure out HOW to do it (funny, huh?). I've been searching the forums and there have been similar questions with some great responses, but for someone as new to this as I am, some of it is a bit fuzzy. So, my cake is for Sunday, it's a 3rd B-day/Easter celebration, all of which I'm hosting, thus I have to make food too!

So, for my castle cake, I'm basically planning on doing a 14" square bottom layer and 10" square middle (based on the cake I love) but it is going to be way too much cake, so I may drop that down a bit. But, this is where I'm trying to figure out...

I can bake my cakes ahead of time, let them cool, wrap them well and store them in the freezer on Thursday or Friday...I think I'm good with that. But, if I want to level, fill, crumb coat them on Saturday and then complete the decorations on Sunday, what do I do with the cake between Saturday and Sunday? Back in freezer or fridge or neither? And wrapped - is that gonna stick over the crumb coat? And, if I wanted, could I do the bc icing on Saturday, too, and then stack and add the "fancy" decorations on Sunday and if so, what changes in my storage? And, how long does it usually need to "thaw" out before I finish the decorations?

Thanks SO MUCH for any and all help! Some of you must get tired of seeing such similar questions but I appreciate your patience!!! This new obsession of mine (with this one cake) is fun, but I hate being clueless! Now I'm on to search how you take apart/cut the thing!

4 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:25am
post #2 of 5

Hi,

If you bake on Thurs or Fri you really don't need to freeze the layers. Just wrap them well in plastic wrap until you're ready to torte, fill and ice.

You can do all the decorating on Saturday, the cake will be fine for Sunday. If you don't have a box big enough to store the cake you can always gently lay some plastic wrap over the entire cake.

Good luck!
Deb

evbunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evbunt Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:50am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Hi,

If you bake on Thurs or Fri you really don't need to freeze the layers. Just wrap them well in plastic wrap until you're ready to torte, fill and ice.

You can do all the decorating on Saturday, the cake will be fine for Sunday. If you don't have a box big enough to store the cake you can always gently lay some plastic wrap over the entire cake.

Good luck!
Deb

Thanks, Deb! So, maybe I'll play it by ear with the full decorations then and get more done on Saturday than I figured. I was worried as I thought the freezing was to keep cake moist / good. Will see how well I do with the Viva and smoothing...I'll let that be my guide!
Any particular wine go well with buttercream icing (as I'm sure I'll be eating some) that I can use to help calm my anxiety about the whole thing? Just kidding...well, maybe.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:12am
post #4 of 5

LOL! I've found whatever wine I have open works fine! icon_lol.gif

As far as the freezing, sure you can go ahead and freeze if you want to, I thought you felt like you had to because of the time frame. Some people do feel that freezing their layers makes them more moist. I guess it depends on what recipe you use.

I only freeze if I bake 1 or 2 wks ahead, which is unusual for me actually. My normal schedule is to bake Wed. or Thurs. for Sat. or Sun. delivery.

Don't forget to post a picture, I haven't done a castle cake yet, but I have a Wedding order for October for a big fancy one. I haven't started stressing about it yet icon_razz.gif

Happy Easter!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:18am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Hi,

Good luck!
Deb

Ditto to what Deb said but I wanted to add that after you fill your cake you should let it settle for at least a few hours (if not overnight) just in case you get a bulge. That way you can fix it before you ice it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%