Chocolate Fountain

Decorating By illini89 Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm by illini89

illini89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illini89 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 5

would like to use a chocolate fountain this easter. Can anyone tell me what i need to do. The directions that came with the fountain do not help much. What kind of chocolate, etc?
thanks

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 5

I own 5 of them and use them for weddings all the time. I use Merkens chocolate disks.

Turn the heat on the fountains while you're melting the chocolate.
Melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring frequently. When it's almost melted, add some vegetable oil so that it thins it a bit and it flows really smooth off of the spoon. Not thick and no chunking.

When you pour the chocolate in the fountain, (turn on the motor), you may have to adjust the fountain to level it. If you have air pockets (or what I call "Fish mouth" flowing), turn the fountain off for a few seconds then turn it back on ... this helps eliminate the air pockets.

I would avoid using the chocolate chips out of the grocery, and I understand some fountains tell you this is ok. Ever notice how the choc chips are still in choc chip shape when you take the cookies come out of the oven? That's because they are not designed to actually "melt". They have a wax coating to help them kinda hold their shape. You want chocoalte that is going to MELT.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 5

If the thought of adding vegetable oil grosses you out, cocoa butter works really well too, and if you use the store chocolate chips, it makes them MUCH smoother!

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 5

At the catering company I worked for we used Hershey's milk choc bars and we also added veg oil.

illini89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illini89 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 5

thanks for all the advice.--will let you know how we do!!!!!!!!!!!
happy easter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%