How Do I Make Cupcake Dummies

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 2:52pm by PinkZiab

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

This may be an odd question, but do any of you make cupcake dummies? I keep having brides that want to see different design options for cupcakes, and usually I end up making batches of cupcakes just to decorate them for display (and then either let the kids eat them, or throw them out depending how long I've had them). It seems logical that if I had dummy cupcakes, I could keep them and not have to worry about it. Is there such a thing as cupcake dummies (like cake dummies...but I haven't seen any at the suppliers I use) or is there an easy way to make them?

5 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 6

I have seen cupcake dummies, but I can't remember who sells them, off hand. I know some people buy this expanding foam in a can type stuff at home depot and use that to make them--I'm sure someone here will chime in with the name.

Do you take pictures of your cupcakes when you make them, even for display? Start putting together an album to show them. They can't expect to see a live sample of every design possibility. Once they see your portfolio/album and get a sense of your decorating ability, and you can then provide them with a sketch, if necessary, that should be MORE than sufficient to make their decision.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 6

I've seen the cupcake dummies too..sorry, I can't remember where... but I'd like to know if you find out!! Also.. What would you use to perminently ice them??... Maybe squeeze some fondant or gumpaste through a piping bag? lol.. would that work??

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 6

thanks ladies! I do take pictures, but for some reason, alot of brides want to physically see something. I figure if I had a few different samples they would get a better idea. I thought of the expanding foam, but I don't know how to contain it. I figure I would decorate them the same way that I do for cake dummies, buttercream swirl, plain, with sprinkles, with buttercream rose, etc (which obviously you can't keep forever, but buttercream is always around) and then some with poured fondant, gumpaste flowers, monograms etc.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 6

I saw some on Global Sugar Art:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=1020

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswendel

thanks ladies! I do take pictures, but for some reason, alot of brides want to physically see something.

I'm all for making customers happy, within reason, but you can't always jump through every hoop. If I showed them an album of pictures of my past jobs and then sketches of their own design possibilities, and they still wanted to see real samples, I would let them know that I would be MORE than happy to prepare sample cupcakes in their desired flavors and design choices for $______ (whatever you normally charge for as many cupcakes as they want). But that's just me icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%