Scratch Bakers--Can You Help???

Decorating By Jessica1817 Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 3:16am by Jessica1817

Jessica1817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica1817 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #1 of 7

I can't figure out what is wrong with this recipe! I swear one day it turned out great, and now every time I make it, it sinks in the middle at the end of baking and when it is cooling. I've tried cooking it longer, etc., but perhaps I have an amount down wrong? Honestly, I don't understand all the chemistry behind the baking process, so maybe someone can help? This recipe is a variation of a Wilton recipe, and tastes great (esp the next day!), but I can't do much with it when it sinks in the middle!
Double Choc Fudge Cake:
2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c margarine
2 1/4 c sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c milk
4 oz unsweetened choc, melted
1 c mini choc chips
*Bakes at 350, or 325 in my convection

Thanks!!!

6 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #2 of 7

Without really looking at recipe, cause I'm gonna take a chance and assume it is right, first off...lower the temp to 325, not 350 sometimes and 325 others....325 always. I do anyways.

Second....are you using baking strips on sides of pan? Flower nails? I know some folks can get away with not using them, I can't yet, so I rely on them. Sounds like you are getting baked on the edges before your middle is done.

Also, are you peeking in the oven while it's baking? I have heard that does it too, alows a sudden drop in the oven temp when the door gets opened.

I know another "scratcher" who has a keen eye for measurements will come along and scrutinize it for ya!

Jessica1817 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:31am
post #3 of 7

Thanks! I was using 350 in my old oven, but when I got my convection it converts to 325. I use baking strips, but haven't tried the flower nail yet, that will be my next attempt thumbs_up.gif It does seem to happen no matter the size, 6" or 14", mystery to me icon_confused.gif

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:35am
post #4 of 7

I almost always use the Wilton butter recipes. Couple of tips:

1) Replace the margarine with butter. It just works better.
2) Check the sugar content. 2 1/4 seems a tad high.
3) are the cakes that are falling larger than those that are not? Wilton butter cakes that are larger than 8" truly need the flower nail. They will also bake at 325, and go over an hour in the (regular) oven.
4) Make sure to dry dust your chocolate chips before putting them in the batter. (reserve 1/4 cup of your dry mix, toss with the chocolate chips, it will keep them from sinking in the batter).

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:39am
post #5 of 7

Oh....yes, if only for the taste factor, butter! And of course, lower temp, means longer baking time.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:41am
post #6 of 7

Are you using fresh powder?

Jessica1817 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:16am
post #7 of 7

Ok, I just checked my baking powder and its dated for 2010, but has been open for about 2 months, does this make a difference? I will definitely change to butter and try lowering the sugar content to 2 cups. I have a flower nail to try as well, I forgot though, is this placed upside down in the pan and the batter poured over?
Thanks so much for the tips!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%