Eggless Cookies

Baking By aggiechef Updated 9 Jan 2015 , 9:54pm by sweettooth101

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 12

Has anyone ever made something like this and does it taste good?

I've been asked by a local engineering company to make some cookies for their team that's riding in the BP MS150 bike ride in a couple of weeks. I would love to do this, but a couple of people on the team are allergic to eggs, which is one of the key ingredients in most cookie recipes. icon_cry.gif

If anyone has made these before, will you please share your recipe with me? I've googled some recipes, but I want to hear from the cookie masters icon_biggrin.gif before I experiment.

Thanks,
Lindsey

11 replies
cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 12

I like the Brown Bag Shortbread recipe (Classic Shortbread) on this page (there are other recipes too) -- the recipe isn't large but it tastes great. It's meant to fill one shortbread mold.

http://shortbreadpan.com/hints.html

Of course you can roll out and cut shortbread too.

aggiechef Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 12

Can shortbread cookied be decorated like sugar cookies?

I will have to find out how severe the allergies are on this team before I proceed with decorating, though. If it's something in the yolks that they're allergic to, then I should be okay to use the whites in RI, but if the whites are a problem, then I won't be able to decorate with RI at all.

Taz-from-PR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:22am
post #5 of 12

Are you looking for ANY cookie recipe or just the rolled-out-cut-out kind? I have one or two non-egg ones, but the book is at the shop so I can't get them for you until tomorrow.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:35am
post #6 of 12

Here is a recipe my friend Carla gave me. She makes it with her mom every year. The only problem is....it seemed to spread on me even after I froze the dough before baking. GOOD LUCK!

Beth in KY

EGGLESS SUGAR COOKIE

1 stick of butter or ½ cup of shortening (we always used butter, I would think if you used shortening you would need the buttered flavor)
1 tbsp milk
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ cup flour (we used self rising and omitted the soda, salt and baking powder, but Im including those amounts too if you want to use all purpose)
½ tsp soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder

Sift dry ingredients, cream first four and add dry, chill and roll out on floured surface. You can drop these out on a cookie sheet and they puff up so prettyI personally love these that way. Dont over cook!!!! They need not get golden.

aggiechef Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 12

Indydebi - I'd like to have a couple different varieties of eggless cookies. I want to experiment with different ones before I feed them to paying customers. icon_wink.gif

My coworkers will eat just about anything and give me feedback on it.

bethola - Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try it this weekend. icon_biggrin.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 12

GREAT! Let me know if you find the "secret" of how to keep them from spreading so much! We made them for the Bus Ministry at Church for the Christmas Party. Of course the kids ate 'em right up! Well, MAYBE a couple were a little brown around the edges and "we" had to eat the "ugly" cookies! LOL

Beth

PS You're Welcome! Happy Baking!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Jan 2015 , 3:52am
post #9 of 12

Just found a recipe for Cream cheese rollout cookies, there is no egg in it.  Put orange extract & a touch of vanilla in them.

Just took them out of the oven.  They reminded me of the taste of the dough on  the old Hostess brand fruit pies.   This would be very nice with some jam in a thumbprint cookie shape.

http://www.cookiemold.com/CreamCheeseRecipe.html

Used this cookie cutter on this recipe.  These cutters worked perfectly with this recipe. I'll roll them out thinner next time I make them.

http://browncookie.com/collections/cookie-molds/products/oval-shaped-cookie-cutter

Cream cheese eggless cookies

Phamilymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phamilymama Posted 9 Jan 2015 , 5:43am
post #10 of 12

AThe foolproof holiday roll out cookie recipe from Cook's Illustrated uses cream cheese instead of egg and doesn't spread when rolled thin.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Jan 2015 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 12

This recipe worked so well in keeping the details of the cookie stamp, it's more of a visual thing than a taste thing for me.  I posted it here on CC to share a nice recipe as an alternative to the normal cookie recipe with eggs.  I'm happy to keep my SFSC recipe for regular cookie baking.

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 9 Jan 2015 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 12

I have one which has ground almonds and coconut in, no eggs.

They are delicious, I usually dust them with icing sugar.If you are interested in the recipe let me know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%