Need Help Asap Please

Decorating By sasporella Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 6:52pm by Justbeck101

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know if flower paste/gumpaste can be put in an oven on a low temperature to dry it out faster. I am making a cake that is been picked up tommorrow, i made a plaque about 3 days ago (picture plaque) when i made it i made a mix of sugarpaste and petal paste but it still isn't dry and in places it is starting to crack from bending when i move it. I have made one before but i think this time i may have added too much sugarpaste. Anyway i have shaped another plaque to put my edible picture on and made it from all petal paste this time in the hope it might dry faster but is there anything else i can do to speed up the process. Also is there any way to speed up the drying time for royal icing as i will have to attach another lollypop stick to my plaque. Any help is much appreciated......please.

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 9

You can put in in the oven with the light on but no heat or it will melt!! From what I hear some have done that over night to help gumpaste dry!!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 9

I would place it infront of a fan. When I have made gumpaste items and needed then the next day(and boy were they thick- like the double layer extra large heart supergirl cake topper and the eagle head over rkt) I just placed them infront of a small fan and let it rip on HI all night. Cool air helps firm and dry faster then heat that would melt it. And I live in humid Florida but I do keep my AC running wich also helps to suck moisture out of the air.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 9

Make sure you flip it (usually after 24 hours), but do it after 12. I set mine under my air conditioner vent. Try a fan? I know some have done that. Don't use your oven if it is gas. Electric is fine with the light on, but the pilot is no good from my experience. Did you use straight gum paste for the second one? If not I would redo it.

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks guys, my oven is gas so i suppose that one is out. I will try using the fan and see what happens. Yes Justbeck101 when i made the second one it was gumpaste only as i thought it might dry quicker. Wow talk about panic, i am really getting myself all worked up here. Thanks for the advice guys i will let you know how i get on.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 9

sasporella, if you have a gas oven, I have read that you can put the pieces in and just the pilot light alone does the trick. I have not tried this, but I read it in a thread a while ago...

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 9

In the oven with or without a pilot light. Just don't use direct heat. A Pilot light doesn't generate enough heat to melt the pieces. The dry warmth of the oven works perfectly for me. Just don't forget you got your piece in the oven and then pre heat it like I did!!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 9

Under a gooseneck lamp works well too - just not too close to the bulb or it will scorch. I've also had success with a fan. No luck here with the gas oven/pilot light.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobzC8kz

In the oven with or without a pilot light. Just don't use direct heat. A Pilot light doesn't generate enough heat to melt the pieces. The dry warmth of the oven works perfectly for me. Just don't forget you got your piece in the oven and then pre heat it like I did!!!

Hey,
Corona California! I used to live there!
I think it definitely depends on where you are in the world! lol. I tried my oven once for a grad cap made out of gum paste and it just got sticky and gummy. I have a gas oven. I am in Texas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%