Who Makes Cake Truffles??

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 11:13pm by Michelle104

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:30pm
post #61 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by swheatsue

sweetiesbykim ~
I use the Wilton candy melts. I have heard some people say they use Merkens. Do you have any experience with those? What do you use?
Thanks for your help!

I use Wilbur confectionery coating, not their real chocolate. I've posted the website and info in above posts, if you want to check it out icon_smile.gif I've never tried merkens, but heard only good things. I used Wilton years ago for molds with colored details -didn't like the melted thickness or the taste, compared to what I use now.

I forgot to add that my friend got a bunch of colored chocolate, in sealed bags, that turned out real chalky when she used it. It also never got smooth when melted. We realized it was on sale because it was old and on the shelf too long in the store! Not sure if it was Wilton or another brand. Not that their brands are necessarily bad, but it was just old chocolate.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:38pm
post #62 of 66

I need to make 130+ of these, well, cake pops next week. Half chocolate, half lemon. I was planning on using for the lemon: white cake, lemon curd and maybe some vanilla buttercream. Maybe a little non dairy creamer if needed. I can't seem to find a lemon recipe out there. What do you think?

Also do the oreo ones crunch when you bite into them, or do you just get the oreo flavor? Favorite recipes anyone...for chocolate or oreo or lemon? Thanks.

sweetiesbykim Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:42pm
post #63 of 66

mbt4955

I just melted the Wilbur peanut butter chocolate, and it melted very smooth. I ate a disc before melting, and the peanut butter flavor was a little subtle, and gave a very slight waxy feel. Melted, the PB flavor was the same, but the waxiness disappeared. My mom thought the same. It wasn't much thicker than the white, milk, and dark, so you could definitely dip and mold with it. Might be a good Nutter filling for your molds if mixed with some peanut butter, for extra flavor -Mmmmmm

The ingredients are: veg oil, sugar, non fat dry milk, peanut butter, corn syrup solid, soya lecithin, and salt.

Hope that helpsicon_smile.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:30pm
post #64 of 66

Talk about going above and beyond. Thank you SO much, sweetiesbykim!! I will definitely order some. I would love to be able to use GOOD chocolate, but I don't sell any of my goodies, so it is a little pricey for me. I have used Wilton candy melts in small doses (VERY small doses!), but I know I wouldn't want to eat something that was covered with them. I have Mercken's, but haven't used them. The testimonial that you gave Wilbur is enough for me.

Thanks again!
Martha

sweetiesbykim Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:01pm
post #65 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

Talk about going above and beyond. Thank you SO much, sweetiesbykim!! I will definitely order some. I would love to be able to use GOOD chocolate, but I don't sell any of my goodies, so it is a little pricey for me. I have used Wilton candy melts in small doses (VERY small doses!), but I know I wouldn't want to eat something that was covered with them. I have Mercken's, but haven't used them. The testimonial that you gave Wilbur is enough for me.

Thanks again!
Martha

You're so sweet, and so welcome!! I'm a real chicken when it comes to trying new decorating techniques or recipes. When I can get ridiculously detailed instructions or info from CC members, it really gives me confidence. In return, I love to share what I've learned, as well as all my resources. I'm so glad you decided to try the Wilbur coating! Please PM me and let me know how you like it!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:13pm
post #66 of 66

I have to tell you that I used wilton's choc to dip some chick pops today. They're blotchy and are cracking. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I've always used merkens before but needed yellow and didn't have time to go to the supply store to get it. Don't think I'll do that again...icon_sad.gif

Tinygoose~ do you only do scratch or do you do box mixes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%