Who Makes Cake Truffles??

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 11:13pm by Michelle104

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 66

And if you do, what do you melt your chocolate in for dipping? I'm looking to get something to melt my choc and was looking at the Wilton one at JoAnn's for $30. Wondering if anyone has it and is it worth the money or a piece of junk? Any opinions appreciated!

65 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 66

I have three of the Wilton ones and I like them a lot. I melt on High, then turn the temp down to Warm and the chocolate stays at just the right temperature. I wish they held more, but maybe that is why I have three of them. icon_biggrin.gif

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 66

I just use a microwave proof bowl and melt it in the microwave. Though it would be very nice to be able to keep it warm so I didn't have to keep reheating.

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 66

I don't make them enough to buy one of those, I just use a metal bowl and pot of boiling water. icon_wink.gif

mbt4955 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 66

Actually, I don't make cake truffles, but I have petit four molds that use chocolate and way too many Spinning Leaf Oreo molds. I bought my chocolate pots one at a time ... JoAnn and Michaels with coupons.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

And if you do, what do you melt your chocolate in for dipping? I'm looking to get something to melt my choc and was looking at the Wilton one at JoAnn's for $30. Wondering if anyone has it and is it worth the money or a piece of junk? Any opinions appreciated!

icon_confused.gif color me stupid if I'm wrong, but couldn't you just use a small crockpot? They have high and low settings... I'm sure clean up may be a bit messy, but surely it's better quality?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindambc

I don't make them enough to buy one of those, I just use a metal bowl and pot of boiling water. icon_wink.gif

ME TOO! And I make candy A LOT!

Beth in KY

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

icon_confused.gif color me stupid if I'm wrong, but couldn't you just use a small crockpot? They have high and low settings... I'm sure clean up may be a bit messy, but surely it's better quality?

Not sure but the low setting may still be too hot and scortch the chocolate and give it a burned flavor...?

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 66

I don't make a lot of them at a time and my chocolate stays warm enough for me to finish. I also heat my chocolate in the microwave. I've heard though that you can use a heating pad under your bowl to keep the chocolate warm after the initial melting.

Michelle104 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 66

I thought about the crock pot thing too but was also wondering about the temp control. I've used the metal bowl with boiling water too but mostly used the microwave to melt and it seems like there's a lot of waste that way. I have 3 seperate orders for 6 dz truffles coming up and it seems like it would be so much easier if I didn't have to keep remelting. So the wilton ones work well for you all? That seems to be the most accessible one. I'm looking around online too. Can you melt like merckens choc in the wilton melter with sucess or does it only melt the wilton choc smoothly. I've read a couple of reviews that went both ways....Thanks again guys!! icon_biggrin.gif

mbt4955 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 66

I haven't tried Wilton Candy Melts in mine. I have used Merckens, Ghiradelli melting chocolate, Ghiradelli chips - white and dark - and have had no problem with any of them.

Martha

sALLI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sALLI Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:19pm
post #12 of 66

LADIES NOW THAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT CAKE TRUFFLES HOW MUCH DO YOU CHARGE FOR THOSE, FEW FRIENDS REQUESTED AFTER TRYING in a shower I through for a friend but I have no idea what to charge for unit or DZ any help will be appreciated it , thank you.

Also Walmart have the Wilton choc melter for 19.99 a least in SC

Michelle104 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:25am
post #13 of 66

Oh I am so gonna check out Wally World! Thanks for the heads up Salli! icon_smile.gif I charge $10 a dz for regular truffles. By that I mean just balls dipped and then maybe drizzled with another color or sprinkles on them. $1.50 apiece for pops just because they take more time and detail depending on what you make the pops into. I've done the chicks and cupcake pops from bakerella. What's your guys' fav flavor combos?? Anyone??

Margieluvstobake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:41am
post #14 of 66

The ones made from crushed oreo cookies (double stuffed are great) and then dipped in chocolate are fantastic. Actually no cake involved.

Michelle104 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:10am
post #15 of 66

Is it the oreos with cream cheese? I have that recipe but haven't tried it yet. My new fav is chocolate cake with hazelnut biscotti creamer as the binder. I don't usually like the cake truffles but I can't leave these alone when they're around. I figured out that I have to make them and send them right out the door! icon_razz.gif

sALLI Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:12am
post #16 of 66

OHH those sound soooo good I love Hazelnut

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:21am
post #17 of 66

I use the Wilton pots, I have two of them. I have melted the candy melts in them and they do just fine as long as you watch them and don't let them get too hot.

I've wondered about a crockpot too but didn't know if the lowest temp would still be too hot.

Margieluvstobake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:34am
post #18 of 66

Hi Michelle

I have just used the regular double stuffed oreos. I haven't even seen any cream cheese oreos. I see you have been on the bakerella website. What do you think about the Christmas cake pops? I first saw them right after Christmas. I can't wait til this next Christmas to make some of the reindeer and the Christmas trees. They are just way too cute.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:02am
post #19 of 66

I use both the Wilton melters and the small crock pots....I find that I can burn the chocolate in the crock pot a little quicker if I'm not paying attention. I prefer the Wilton... I just wish was larger.

Michelle104 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:09am
post #20 of 66

Margie, the recipe that I have is for crushed oreos and add some cream cheese to it as a binder I guess. My girlfriend says that they are YUMMY I just haven't tried them yet. Although, I'm definitely looking forward to trying them! icon_rolleyes.gif I LOVE all of Bakerella's pops! So so cute!! I wish my brain worked that way!! I did some of the Easter chick ones and my sis took them to the office and they were definitely loved! icon_biggrin.gif I love the fat fluffy sheep too!! icon_lol.gif

Kathy~how much chocolate can you melt in the wilton ones? Even though there's a warm setting do you still stand a chance of burning your chocolate?

Margieluvstobake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:34am
post #21 of 66

Michelle

DUH!!! I don't know where my head is. Yes, I use cream cheese in with the crushed oreos. You must try them.

I agree about the creativity of bakerella. Her website is amazing.

snowflake12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowflake12 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:09pm
post #22 of 66

As a side note to the Oreo's and cream cheese balls. Try using the mint oreo's instead of the regular ones. OMG, so good. I also had one or two drops of lorann's peppermint oil to it as well. Yummy. You have to reduce the cc a little bit though, since the mint oreo package isn't quite as big as the regular oreo package.

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm
post #23 of 66

I make them all the time. I have the Wilton one, and same as others who have it, wish it held more.

So far everyone's favorite seems to be the cherry chocolate ones. I use BC cherry chip cake mix and cherry frosting, and dip them in milk chocolate. I also make german chocolate (german chocolate cake mix and coconut pecan frosting, top with pecans), triple chocolate (chocolate cake mix, chocolate frosting) and in the fall, pumpkin spice ones (pumpkin spice cake with creme brulee coffee creamer as the binder). I dip the pumpkin ones in white chocolate and sprinkle them with a little cinnamon and pecans. I've also made coconut ones, mixing coconut with cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla, then dipping them in dark chocolate. KInd of like a mounds bar...yum!

Chrisy

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:28pm
post #24 of 66

Michelle104- It is about 1 package of the Wilton melts in the melting pot. I have two pots, but I also use the crock pots as well. I have a small 1 quart the "regular" size and the bigger oval size.

I find regardless of which melting methos, you have to watch as the chocolate will dry out.

sALLI Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm
post #25 of 66

I do not know about you all but I love to use diferent flavors like cherry, strawberry irish cream give them a kick not so sweet and could be storage outside the refrigerator for longer period.

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:12pm
post #26 of 66

I have an electric frypan that I got at a yard sale for $2.I put warm tap water in it. I keep it on low & melt chocolate (in a bowl of course) in it. Also when I am using Wilton candy melts & need lots of different colours, I put the candy melts in small 2oz candy melting cups & this appliance melts them & keeps them at the correct temp. No messy cleanup except for the bowls & they can be put in the dishwasher. By the way, I bought this, as it was such a great bargain. I have yet to use it to fry food, but had never considered using it for chocolate, until I saw someone doing this on a cooking show.

Margieluvstobake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:32pm
post #27 of 66

Limpy
What a fantastic idea. I think I've got one of those in the back recesses of a cabinet somewhere. Sounds like it is worth dragging it out. Thanks for the tip!!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:59pm
post #28 of 66

My wilton one is my favoritest thing ever!!! I love it! I make cake truffles with the spinning leaf standard truffle mold, and it makes them so perfectly! I make a lot of candy stuff, and I have a 50% off coupon for michaels so I may get another!

Debluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debluvs2bake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:27pm
post #29 of 66

I make upwards of 20 lbs of various choco trats every Christams and I use my crockpot at the lowest setting. I've used my double boiler, microwave, chocolate fountain and fondue pot. I by far prefer my crock pot.

Debluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debluvs2bake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:27pm
post #30 of 66

I make upwards of 20 lbs of various choco treats every Christmas and I use my crockpot at the lowest setting. I've used my double boiler, microwave, chocolate fountain and fondue pot for my candy making. I by far prefer my crock pot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%