Need Help - Stacked Cake With Different Shaped Tiers

Decorating By mooj Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 6:34pm by mooj

mooj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mooj Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:50am
post #1 of 8

I am making a wedding cake soon that will have different shaped tiers. Bride wants a hexagon on bottom, square in the middle and round top - all iced in buttercream. I have two questions:

Will a 10" square fit on a 12" hexagon and will it look right?

How on earth do I ice those tiers and then place them on top of each other without completely ruining the buttercream - every time I try I end up having to re-ice the cake?!

Thanks for all your help!
Stacked Cake Dummy

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, I'm not so sure about he sizes. I am thinking that if you use a 14" hexagon, it might look better. I hope some one can help you more on this.

About stacking, When you dowel the the bottom tier, don't push the dowels all the way through. Just insert 1or 2 inches into the cake. Then take te next tier, and keeping it central and on the dowels, let it go. The dowels will sink on its own, to the weight of the top tier. Stack the top tier the same way.

I have seen few videos. I'll find them and post them for you to see. icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 8

turn your pans upside down and stack them up to see about(minus a layer each tier) how it will look.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 8

I love CC....You learn something new here everyday. I too would try to put the next tier onto the bottom one, only to mess up the icing. Not pushing the dowels in all way to stop that from happening is something I would have never thought of! I can't wait to try it the next time. icon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie1954

I love CC....You learn something new here everyday. I too would try to put the next tier onto the bottom one, only to mess up the icing. Not pushing the dowels in all way to stop that from happening is something I would have never thought of! I can't wait to try it the next time. icon_biggrin.gif

This is something I learned on CC long ago and it works like a charm. I have found that I have to push my dowels all the way in, then bring them back out about an inch or so.

mooj Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 8

What a great idea for stacking without smooshing the buttercream - THANKS!! It's so obvious, but I would have never thought of it. icon_smile.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 8

Hi mooj, here is the video as promised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHSzbG_y9JE&feature=channel_page

Its done by one of our own CC member.

I would like to say that I learnt this method from Sugarshack! Credit goes to her. She has loads of great tips in her DVDs. They are amazing! icon_smile.gif

HTH. icon_smile.gif

mooj Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 8

Wow! Thanks so much for all the help! You are great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%