Stacked Cake Without Borders -- How??

Decorating By JGMB Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 7:28pm by JGMB

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 5

Can one of you experts please explain how to stack a cake like the Martha Stewart one below? Hers is fondant, but I plan to do all buttercream.

I've only done one stacked cake before. I decorated all tiers separately, then stacked them and added bottom borders to hide the separations between the tiers.

If you aren't going to have borders, though, how do you hide those lines or the tiny edge of the cardboard circle that might be visible? Do you stack it first, then decorate it as one big cake?

Thanks in advance!!!! Julie
LL

4 replies
Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 5

Edna has a video on utube for stacking. It shows how she finishes the edges when stacking. It might be what you are looking for:

HTH

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 5

And also if you watch Edna's other video on how you cover the cakes with buttercream, that also will be helpful. Here is the link,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXHFqpJK84&feature=channel_page

HTH. icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 5

That was the first time I watched that one. It was awesome! The music choice made it that much more enjoyable too!!!! 4 thumbs up on that one!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for the links to the videos -- I feel confident now!!!

Also, a big thanks to Edna for sharing her techniques!!!

icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%