Help-What To Use To Make 3-D Figures--So Disgusted

Decorating By Cookies4kids Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 10:38pm by SweetMelissa2007

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 13

I spent all day yesterday trying to make some 3-D figures. First I tried some gumpaste but it was probably too old and it was too dry. Next I tried a batch of fondant with tylose in it and that was too crumbly. I think they are messing with the marshmallows these days--making them cheaper!!!! Please tell me what you use to successfully mold the little people etc. as I was so frustrated I could have cried.
I will be so thankful for any help and also for info on good books or websites that show you how to do these things
Lily

12 replies
something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 13

I use a mixture of gumpaste and fondant. I buy CK gumpaste powder mix and make Michele Foster's Fondant recipe. The faster you want it to dry, the more gumpaste you want in the mix. HTH

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 13

I've used Michelle Foster's Fondant with tylose powder. Worked great!

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 13

fondant & gumtex or tylose.........if it was too crumbly then you used to much tylose!

Go to this website....it is awesome!!!
http://extraicingonthecake.com/#/onlinetutorials/4530759830

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 13

If you do a google search for sculpey clay tutorials you can find some good how to's!

ivgotahalo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivgotahalo Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 13

is anie2 having a sale?!?!?! I don't remember them being that cheap last time I looked into doing one of her demos!!!

ivgotahalo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivgotahalo Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 13

hey nickymom..I'm a nicky's mom too! haha

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 13

lilybird, I normally use Satin Ice Fondant with just a little Tylose Powder kneaded in. I used MMF when I first started modeling, but I found it to be pretty soft and it took it much longer to dry and I found my little sculptures looking a little fat and squishy! icon_smile.gif

Your fondant should not be dry and crumbly. If it seems dry, try rubbing a little Crisco on your hands when you are working and kneading the fondant, that should help put a little moisture back in to it. Make sure any fondant (or gumpaste), that you are not working with is wrapped to keep it from drying out.

Don't let yourself get frustrated and give up! Just keep working with it and you will eventually find something that works for you. Good luck, and keep modeling!

HTH, Jean

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 13

i use a mixture of fondant and gumpaste and have never had a problem

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 13

Hey lilybird! Sorry your having problems, takes the fun right out of it.
I used MMF mixed with just a little gumpaste for the cat in my avatar.
I posted a cake last week with ladybugs, I used Michelle Foster's Fondant with tylose powder.
Both worked fine for me. You dont have to add all that much tylose either.
But after you add some I noticed that it got stiffer after it sat a while, so maybe you added to much ?

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 13

One more thing to add to the other suggestions- for gumpaste (and I would think fondant too) - when it is too hard and is no longer easy to manipulate, I put it in the microwave for maybe 5-10 seconds at a time and it becomes so much easier to work with. I also always have a tiny bit of crisco on my hands when I'm kneading it.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips. You can always rely on the CC people.
Hi Fiddle--I see you use Michelle Fosters fondant. I always think thats a little too stretchy for what I like, but maybe I should give it another try. I have used the old MMF for so long with such success, but the last 2 batches I made stink. I would think there is something different about the marshmallows.
Take care and thanks everyone.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:38pm
post #13 of 13

I use the cheaper wilton fondant mixed with gumpaste for my figures b/c most people don't eat them so they don't have to taste great. Also, I sometimes use modeling chocolate. It's really easy to make and to use, you just have to make it ahead of time. good luck-I hope your modeling goes better next time!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%