Success!! Strawberry Cake!

Decorating By SeriousCakes Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 3:16am by cakes21

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:52am
post #1 of 45

Ok, I've been trying for the past year to make a strawberry cake. I am stubborn though, I want to use MY yellow cake recipe to make it!! I tried extracts, the first one had a *hint* of strawberry while the second had an insanely overwhelming strawberry flavor-even though I only used 1/4 tsp. I even tried subbin in some Strawberry Nesquik for some of the sugar, no luck. I've read a dozen different recipes that called for pureed strawberries and the reviews were usually along the lines of 'not enough flavor'.
Anyway, there was a thread on here a few days ago, along with a link and I found a recipe that was similar to my own yellow cake with the addition of strawberry gelatin and pureed strawberries. SO, I added strawberry jello to my flour mixture, skipped the puree, and viola! A very good strawberry flavored cake! The weird thing is that it didn't affect the moistness or the texture, the cake was the same as always! I had company tonight and they said it was delicious! lol-actually the one guy said he hasn't had a cake from me he didn't like yet icon_biggrin.gif
Sooooo, now I can't wait to get to the store again and see what other flavors I can make!!!

44 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:55am
post #2 of 45

Yum, what a great idea. I think I'll throw a package of orange jello in my next chocolate cake. icon_smile.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 45

Well, don't do it for an order until you've tried it, lol! The only reason I tried it is because the recipe that was listed was almost identical to mine and from the reviews nearly all the people liked it icon_biggrin.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 45

I use strawberry and raspberry jellos in my fillings...... turns out great !

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 45

I love to add jello to my cakes. I've used lemon jello in lemon cake, its to die for, orange jello in my orange cake, and strawberry jello in my strawberry cake, all delicious! Jello adds a wonder flavor and texture to cake, actully I learned that here.......of course. icon_lol.gif

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 45

yum, sounds delish! Adding jello and pudding mixes to cake batter is a very old trick. My great-grandma used to do it all the time and I always loved her cakes, so I do it to mine. But I love the idea of adding it to a butter cake to acheive a different flavor. I've been doing that to my butter cake with pudding... think i'll go back to jello!

SeriousCakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:21am
post #7 of 45

lol-'Nothing new under the sun' icon_biggrin.gif I've read of people adding jello or pudding when they're making box mixes but not scratch. Very cool, opens up a whole new array of flavors, I really want to try watermelon icon_biggrin.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:47am
post #8 of 45

Sounds great. Do you think you could use the dry jello in place of some of the sugar in the wasc without making any other changes? Anyone tried that particular recipe doing exactly that? If so was it a keeper?

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #9 of 45

Glad you found something you liked!

So, I too want to know, did you just add the jello - or did you replace some sugar?

SeriousCakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:03am
post #10 of 45

cocobean, I'm not sure about the wasc, I've never tried it icon_smile.gif

I didn't replace any of the sugar, just added the jello to the flour mixture. I might take some sugar out next time but I didn't think it added too much to the sweetness. My friends also said it was good and not too sweet.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:03am
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

lol-'Nothing new under the sun' icon_biggrin.gif I've read of people adding jello or pudding when they're making box mixes but not scratch. Very cool, opens up a whole new array of flavors, I really want to try watermelon icon_biggrin.gif

ooooo that sounds interesting...

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:29am
post #12 of 45

"Nothing new under the sun" is right! I actually was wondering this just the other day when I was thinking about how else I could add flavour to a cake (as opposed to relying on the filling) and it crossed my mind to use jello but then I dismissed it thinking it would make the texture wonky. Now, I'm gonna have to go give this a try!

Thanks for sharing!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:53am
post #13 of 45

I'll definitely be trying some of these,but i'm a scratch baker so i'm wondering how to go about it.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:24am
post #14 of 45

So where is the recipe????? come on please, pretty pretty please icon_smile.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:19pm
post #15 of 45

solascakes, I'm a scratch baker too,I was always so hesistant about going this route.

Here's the link to the original recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Cake-from-Scratch/Detail.aspx

And here's my yellow cake recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7267-5-Easy-Yellow-Cake.html

They're almost identical in terms of ratios, that's why I thought it would the jello work with my recipe.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:45pm
post #16 of 45

Thank you so much!!!!

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:11am
post #17 of 45

Thank you Serious_Cakes! I tried the strawberry jello in the strawberry mix. I didn't have any strawberry flavorings so I cheated and added a little store bought strawberry icing into some homemade bc. My hubby and kids went insane! They ate 2 dozen cupcakes in 24hrs and requested more! Thanks so much for the idea of using jello- really made a mouth watering strawberry flavor. I use pudding mixes all the time, but I think the jello mix gave off even more flavor. Thanks a million!

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:30am
post #18 of 45

I found a recipe on here...of course, and I tweaked it.
1 pkg white cake
1 pkg Strawberry Jello
3 tbps flour
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1 cup frozen sliced strawberrys in sugar

It's yummy!!!

SeriousCakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #19 of 45

I'm glad you liked it! I went through the jello's I have on hand, one of them is tropical punch, gonna try that along with watermelon this weekend icon_biggrin.gif

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #20 of 45

Thanks gonna try this Stawberry Cake recipe!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:20pm
post #21 of 45

I tried the strawberry cake recipe that you gave. I thought it tasted great but the texture was a little heavy. It probably would work great for the carved tea pot cake that I have coming up this week. I'd like it to be a little lighter. Does anybody have any suggestions? I followed the recipe including sifting the flour before measuring it. Thanks

SeriousCakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:03pm
post #22 of 45

This is in general a heavy cake, closer to a pound cake than something like a box cake. I don't really have any suggestions about making it lighter, sorry! icon_smile.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #23 of 45

I find that generally if you want a cake to come out lighter, do everything a recipe says except separate out your egg whites, whisk them in a separate bowl until stiff peaks and fold that into the batter at the very end. It will lighten up the cake a touch. But if you want a really light cake you might want to try an angel food recipe or a sponge recipe.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:01am
post #24 of 45

i compensate the unsalted butter in a dense mudcake for margie that seems to work wonders... to lighten it up maybe you could do the same with this recipe instead of using butter

cakeandpartygirl Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:44am
post #25 of 45

Thank you. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a dense cake. I guess I was comparing it to a box mix. Shame on me icon_smile.gif Thanks for your suggestions.

SeriousCakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #26 of 45

lol-that was actually the number one complaint on the original recipe (the link I got the idea from), was that it was too 'heavy'! They did the separate eggs thing and some people said that made it lighter.
I did this again last week but I used Jello's Melon Fusion and Tropical Fusion. I was a little disappointed in the melon one, not enough flavor but the tropical was delicious. My mil wants a cake next weekend, gonna try strawberry banana Jello thumbs_up.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:44am
post #27 of 45

Serious_cakes,
I went back and tried the recipe again. I just took it out of the oven and it is really good. I think that the first time I made it I hadn't let my ingredients come to room temperature and I creamed it more than I had before. It looked totally different but in any case it was really good. Thanks again

mona87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mona87 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #28 of 45

so you didnt have to make any adjustments or anything? just throw in the box of jello? that's great! definately worth a try icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:19pm
post #29 of 45

Serious - i did the tropical fusion jello last week - YUM!

I also just for the heck of it did your recipe and added a box of jello brand vanilla pudding and OMG! my son swears it is the best vanilla cake he has had (including you original yellow cake recipe) it was really, really good.

I have a box of jello brand strawberry creme pudding that I am going to try with diced frozen, sweatened strawberries - hope it comes out ok.

thanks for all of your great videos, i love watching them!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:26pm
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

solascakes, I'm a scratch baker too,I was always so hesistant about going this route.

Here's the link to the original recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Cake-from-Scratch/Detail.aspx

And here's my yellow cake recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7267-5-Easy-Yellow-Cake.html

They're almost identical in terms of ratios, that's why I thought it would the jello work with my recipe.

Yum...thanks for the link...I'm going to have to try that!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%