Dowels Or Sps?

Decorating By cserwa Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 12:51am by confectioneista

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:09am
post #1 of 6

Which do you use for the majority of your cakes - wedding, special occasion, etc.?

5 replies
dettdunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dettdunn Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:15am
post #2 of 6

SPS...couldn't do without.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:18am
post #3 of 6

Since I got my SPS I will never dowel again!

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:24am
post #4 of 6

I have asked this question before on another post but never got a response. Maybe some one can help me. What is a SPS???

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:28am
post #5 of 6

SPS...no dowels unless I need a size not available.

SPS is single plate system. It's basically a plate with 4" legs and a little nib on top. If you have a 12/8/6 you would put your 12 on the cake board and then put an 8" plate into the 12", then a 6" plate into the 8".

Before you put your 8 & 6 inch cakes onto the cardboard rounds, you center them on each plate (which pops a mini-hole into the bottom). Then when you assemble, the nib from the cake plate will go into the hole in the bottom of the cardboard.

It sounds complicated but it's awesome.....and cheap. The 4" legs are $6.50 for 12 legs and the plates start at $2.29 (for the 6") and go up. Some people charge for the system and then use them as disposable so they don't have to track down equipment. HTH

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:51am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjshoemake

I have asked this question before on another post but never got a response. Maybe some one can help me. What is a SPS???

Leahs has posted the "how to" on SPS in the cake decorating forum - it's a sticky there - complete with pics and instructions.

You can buy the SPS on Global Sugar Art's website if you can't find them in your local cake decorating store. Once you use these babies, you won't want to ever go back to using dowels if you can help it! HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%