Stacking Question

Decorating By ivgotahalo Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 7:49am by xstitcher

ivgotahalo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivgotahalo Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:10am
post #1 of 5

I have to make a spongebob cake for my cousin. I am using the picture below as inspiration (Thanks to whoever made the cake..I had it saved under your name but lost your name somehow...) Anyway... When I am stacking a cake like this I would assume you'd have to have cake boards between the layers for stability. I'd also like to put one or two dowels in it.... So... How do i get the dowels through the cake boards? Do I have to cut holes in the cake boards before I put the cakes on the cake boards?
LL

4 replies
ivgotahalo Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 6:48am
post #2 of 5

Does my question make sense?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 7:29am
post #3 of 5

You should put in cake boards and dowels approx every 4" of cake. The dowels are placed under each tier to support the weight of the cake above it. As for the dowel going through the cake board, you only need one of those to add stability and you put that in after the whole cake is done. You will need to sharpen the end of it like a pencil and you'll want to cut it slightly smaller than the height of the whole cake so it does not show (I cut it about an inch or so smaller) and you hammer it into the cake so that it will go thru all the cakes and the boards. When you only have a small amount of the dowel visible you will want to put another dowel on top of it so you still have something to hammer it all the way to the bottom.

I hope that makes sense icon_lol.gif [/quote]

ivgotahalo Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 7:38am
post #4 of 5

that' a HUGE help!! Thank you SO much!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 7:49am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivgotahalo

Anyway... When I am stacking a cake like this I would assume you'd have to have cake boards between the layers for stability. I'd also like to put one or two dowels in it.... So... How do i get the dowels through the cake boards? Do I have to cut holes in the cake boards before I put the cakes on the cake boards?

The dowels support the weight of the tiers on top. The cake boards sit on top of the dowels. You do not need to cut holes in the cake boards. Only one of the dowels (the final one that I mentioned you would use for stability) will go through all of the cake boards and it being sharpened at the tip like a pencil and being hammered through will do the trick. You will need several dowels though for each layer under the cake boards.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Here's a link that shows some pics of stacking a cake (it's a combination of stacked pillared). If you look at the first pic you will see what appears to be holes in the largest (bottom tier) cake those are the dowels. It gives you an idea of how many you need. You can space them apart about a couple of inches. Also you will want to cut them level to the top of your icing and make sure they are all the same height otherwise the cake will not be straight.

Sorry forgot the link icon_redface.gif but I did find another one for you too icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/article49-Building-The-Cake-Combination-Pillar--Stacked-Construction.html

http://cakecentral.com/article23-Teired-Stacked-Cake-Construction.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%