Help, Banana Cake?

Decorating By pebblez87 Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 1:29am by conchita

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:21am
post #1 of 5

i already looked in the recipe section i really dont want to mess with scratch i was wondering if there was a way you could doctor a box cake? maybe substitute mashed banana for some of the water or oil? i saw box banana cake but aparently no stores in arizona sell that so does anybody have advice ? ever made one please help

4 replies
shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:35am
post #2 of 5

i made a white cake with a banana filling once it was really good i just used banana pudding with sliced fresh bananas in it. not sure if this is what you are looking for but just a suggestion

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:45am
post #3 of 5

I add a small box of banana pudding and 3-4 overripe smashed bananas. It is really good.

I also use this recipe alot! I love it! I found in the recipe section:

Banana doctored cake mix with banana cream filling

Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
Category: Cake Mix Cakes, Fillings, Banana Cakes
Difficulty: Easy

This is a doctored cake mix. It is super moist and tasty. I used 2 8x2" rounds, and they rose to the top. I made a banana cream filling that was very thick and creamy. It held it's shape well, and didn't squish out all over the cake.

CAKE
1 box DH white cake mix
1 small box banana instant pudding
1 cup mashed banana (2 bananas)
1/3 cup buttermilk (normal milk can be substituted)
4 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil

FILLING
1 small box banana instant pudding
about 3/4 cup of half -n- half (more or less depending on consistency)
1 cup whipped Rich's Bettercreme (I used vanilla flavor)
(heavy whipping cream can probably be substituted)

FOR CAKE: Combine sifted cake mix and dry banana pudding. In a seperate bowl combine all wet ingredients. Pour dry ingredients into wet gradually, beating on low until combined. Raise mixer to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Divide between cake pans and bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.

FOR FILLING: Prepare the bettercreme (or heavy whipping cream) to soft peaks (for bettercreme, this takes 10 minutes). Combine the banana pudding and half -n- half. This mixture will be very thick. Fold the whipped mixture into the pudding mixture and refridgerate. If you are using heavy cream, you may want to use less half -n- half (maybe 1/2 cup) with the pudding, and whip the cream to meduim peaks, or it may end up too thin.

This made enough filling for me to fill between 3 layers (I torted both 8" layers).

I frosted this cake with Fluffernutter frosting. YUM!

jrkrayenhagen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrkrayenhagen Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:55am
post #4 of 5

Under the "Gourmet Flavors" forum thread, there are a couple of banana cake recipes. The first one is by Michellers:

2 white cake mix
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 2/3 cup half and half
1/4 cup oil
2 tsp banana flavoring
2tsp vanilla flavoring
2 boxes of banana pudding mix
2 cups banana drinking yogurt
2 mashed bananas
6 eggs

The other recipe posted is by macsmom and it can be used if you are able to get your hands on a banana cake mix icon_smile.gif

1 box banana cake mix
1 box white cake mix
6 eggs
2 1/4 cups cake flour
2 1/3 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 pkg banana pudding mix
2 (6oz) containers banana yogurt
1 1/3 cup vanilla coffee creamer
1 1/3 cup water
1 TBSP vanilla
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup butter, softened

Hope these help! I have not yet personally tried them... but they look very yummy!

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 5

thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%