Family Wanting Free Cakes?! Vent....

Lounge By mackeymom Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 1:13am by KitchenKat

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #31 of 46

Oh boy.....I am a sucker on this one. My DD is a manager where she works, and as a favor to her, I made her boss a BD cake. Well, then she wanted a cake for this person, and then that one, OK - NOW I am getting aggitated. When she asked for the 4th one, she got a 6" round simple iced cake. When she picked that one up, she was NOT happy. I believe it was something to the tune of......"what is that, how am I supposed to share that with 8 people??" I calmly told her, if you want a free cake, that is what you get from now on. I am not making FREE cakes forever for you.

Fast forward couple of weeks, and she comes in with a pair of PINK (my favorite color) UGG moccosin slippers and bright pink UGG fuzzy flip flop slippers to thank me for all the cakes I did already for her.

I am now happy and don't feel as used and she now knows there are NO MORE FREE CAKES.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:41pm
post #32 of 46

I don't charge family and close friends... it's just not my way. Thankfully they don't take advantage of it (asking me to do free cakes for THEIR friends, etc), and they don't ask me to do the cakes witht he intention of trying to get a free cake (theyalways TRY to pay, but I decline), I just give it to them free because I want to. When I need them (and BOY have I needed them many times in the past) they are there for me, and they also send TONS of paying business my way, so this is my way of saying thanks.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:42pm
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Oh boy.....I am a sucker on this one. My DD is a manager where she works, and as a favor to her, I made her boss a BD cake. Well, then she wanted a cake for this person, and then that one, OK - NOW I am getting aggitated. When she asked for the 4th one, she got a 6" round simple iced cake. When she picked that one up, she was NOT happy. I believe it was something to the tune of......"what is that, how am I supposed to share that with 8 people??" I calmly told her, if you want a free cake, that is what you get from now on. I am not making FREE cakes forever for you.

Fast forward couple of weeks, and she comes in with a pair of PINK (my favorite color) UGG moccosin slippers and bright pink UGG fuzzy flip flop slippers to thank me for all the cakes I did already for her.

I am now happy and don't feel as used and she now knows there are NO MORE FREE CAKES.

Oh, what a 'thank you', too! thumbs_up.gif

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I don't charge family and close friends... it's just not my way. Thankfully they don't take advantage of it (asking me to do free cakes for THEIR friends, etc), and they don't ask me to do the cakes witht he intention of trying to get a free cake (theyalways TRY to pay, but I decline), I just give it to them free because I want to. When I need them (and BOY have I needed them many times in the past) they are there for me, and they also send TONS of paying business my way, so this is my way of saying thanks.

That is totally understandable, but what it she hasn't been there for me? And hasn't sent business my way.....then what?

I am thinking of making a compromise. She can use my "instruments" (pans, icing tips etc) and I will supervise her making the cake. She must bring all her own supplies ( and I mean EVERYTHING!!) and she will have to clean up after herself (i really hate doing dishes). I will start a timer (thanks PP, I forget who mentioned it, but that is a great idea.) and however long it takes her to do the cake, she will have to watch my kids. So I won't get my hands dirty, but I will be taken away from my family (again thank you PP) so she owes me that time.

Thanks guys! icon_smile.gif

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:05pm
post #35 of 46

Okay I with a majority of the posters when I say...The sister's future SIL is not family and your sister should not even had thought that you would do it for free. The only people that get free is my husband, daughter and parents and sister...the others pay...Even my best friend of 19 years pays for her daughters cakes, it might be full price but she does give me the money to cover the supplies.

That is my opinion. I wouldn't feel bad about what you texted her. She is the one that needs to realize that it cost you to make the cake and bake it. She will realize that as soon as she start paying her own bills.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:08pm
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I don't charge family and close friends... it's just not my way. Thankfully they don't take advantage of it (asking me to do free cakes for THEIR friends, etc), and they don't ask me to do the cakes witht he intention of trying to get a free cake (theyalways TRY to pay, but I decline), I just give it to them free because I want to.

PnkZiab, I'm with you on this, and actually all my cakes are 'free for all' no matter what icon_smile.gif...
Doing this is a lot fun for me and I only do it in my free time since I have a full time job. So, every cake a make I try to do it especial and they all tell me I should be selling them, but believe me, the day I start selling them will no longer be fun for me icon_biggrin.gif, he,he
But I totally understand if this is your line of business and then family/friends expect them for free since.....they are time consumingggg icon_cry.gif

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:50pm
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

From the time I began doing cakes (20 years ago) my policy has been (including for family and friends):
If I offer a cake, it's free.
If you ask for a cake, you pay.
Period!

That's what I do. I tend to do most of my friend's kid's birthday cakes and I enjoy it. The kids are absolutely thrilled that Aunty Chelle is making their cake, and they really don't need more toys, lol. I added it up one time, and what I would have charged my friend for the cake is about the same as I would spend on a present.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:52pm
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeymom

That is totally understandable, but what it she hasn't been there for me? And hasn't sent business my way.....then what?

I am thinking of making a compromise. She can use my "instruments" (pans, icing tips etc) and I will supervise her making the cake. She must bring all her own supplies ( and I mean EVERYTHING!!) and she will have to clean up after herself (i really hate doing dishes). I will start a timer (thanks PP, I forget who mentioned it, but that is a great idea.) and however long it takes her to do the cake, she will have to watch my kids. So I won't get my hands dirty, but I will be taken away from my family (again thank you PP) so she owes me that time.

Thanks guys! icon_smile.gif

I was really only relating my own experience and not responding to your situation. If my family acted the way she is acting, they wouldn't get so much as some stale crumbs from me! It's about taking care of those who take care of you. There are certain specific members of my extended family who I won't even do cakes for paid or otherwise, because they're intolerable! lol I think you should tell her to go pound salt! lol

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #39 of 46

Pound salt?! LOL! I love it!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Example: If my husband asks for a cake for a work occasion, he pays full price. If I offer a cake for an occasion at his office, the cake is free.

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE! I charge my husband for business cakes, too. icon_twisted.gif

Unless, I give the cake as a gift, the only free cakes I do are for my kids and my husband on their birthdays and Father's Day. I did do a cake for my sister's son a few weeks ago for "free" but I DID NOT buy a present. He had been asking for a "Sissy Julie cake" for over a month, so that was his gift. BUT, my sis offered to pay when she asked me to make it.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:42pm
post #41 of 46

I'm with most people here on this one

if you ask for it, you pay
if i offer it's free
if it's free, it's your present

I have had the "Oh good, you can make my birthday cake" and the "oh good, you can teach me how to decorate cakes" uhhhh.. thinkin' NOT

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:10pm
post #42 of 46

Geesh, everybody's family situations are different, but and I dont know how old you are(OP) I dont think I'd trust a 16yr old flake with my precious little ones, even if she was willing to trade babysitting services. I guess you'r trying to keep the peace by compromisung. Good Luck.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:22pm
post #43 of 46

LMAO. I swear it sounds like a rant from my 18 yr old daughter. She doesn't like it when I tell her no, or expect for her to pay for anything. Had that fight last night. She can pay all these credit cards, go shopping DAILY, and eat out all the time, she can help with the bills around here.

But as for your problem. NO....she isn't a friend or relative. She is your sisters boyfriends sister...right? Well, you don't owe them anything.

As for my family it is a toss up. Most I don't charge...but they give a "donation" to me for my time. It is easier than charging them to me.

If I were you I would just say to your sister, "you're right. I shouldn't charge her for the cake, but since you are asking for it you can pay me X dollars for my time and what it costs me to make it. I mean she is going to be your family after all, I am sure you would want to do that for her right?"

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:32pm
post #44 of 46

I voted "yes" but that doesn't include extended family. Only my sister, mom and twin nieces and one small nephew. My sis always insists on shelling out money for ingredients which is really nice although I'd do it for free for her. I adore my sister, though.

Mel Mc.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:12pm
post #45 of 46

I personally think everyone is looking into this situation too much. She is 16 years old, Of course she doesn't know how the world works and that things cost money and everything isnt handed on a silver plater... If her soon to be sister in law would like a cake from you you should deal directly with her. Not a child. And there is no way you should just make free cakes for every tom dick and harry that may possibly be related to you... thats not how buisness works. Sorry...

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:13am
post #46 of 46

Another one for the "if I offer it's free; if you ask, you pay" vote.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%