Another Fondant Question

Decorating By splash2splat Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm by AverageMom

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 5

How many of you just crumb coat your cake before you apply fondant or do you apply a generous coat of buttercream?
How thick do you normally roll your fondant?

Thank You

4 replies
splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 5

Bump

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 5

I know a lot of people put a thin crumbcoat on the leave to set a bit befor putting another layer of buttercream, I personally only put 1 layer of buttercream and have never had a problem with crumbs icon_rolleyes.gif

As for how thick my fondant is....sorry I can't help you, I do have spacers which I use sometimes but i'm not sure of the size.

Thought i'd try to help you out as we have the same birthday icon_biggrin.gif

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 5

I apply a crumb coat first then chill the cake in the fridge. Just before applying fondant I remove the cake from the refrigerator and apply a buttercream layer just as I would in absence of fondant...this is for people who don't like fondant and peel it off before eating. I also like the texture better when fondant is paired with BC. Then I roll fondant to about 1/8th inch thick or slightly thicker and apply it to the cake. HTH

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 5

I only do one layer of BC under the fondant, and I have no troubles with crumbs. Be very careful as you are spreading the BC, so you do not touch the cake. I put the BC nice and thick (1/4 inch at least) so it will be tasty!
I use spacers on my rolling pin. Depending on the size of the cake, I roll it either 1/8th or 1/16th. I like my fondant thin. If you aren't serving the cake within 24 hours, I find that the thinner fondant doesn't hold up as well, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%