Sour Cream Chocolate Cake Recipe, From Scratch

Baking By sweetiesbykim Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 1:31am by Peachshortcake

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:12am
post #1 of 4

I have an order for a sour cream chocolate cake for this Sunday, and the Hershey's recipe I use is good tasting and very moist in a 9X13 pan, but crumbles way too much for a layer cake. I like to torte mine pretty thin, if possible. Does anyone have another recipe, from scratch please? Thanks.

3 replies
Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:38am
post #2 of 4

3/4 cups butter or margerine
3 cups white sugar

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sour cream

1 cup cocoa powder
3 cups AP flour
5 tsp baking soda

1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 f

Cream together sugar and butter. Add in eggs, one at a time. Blend in sour cream.

Mix in cocoa and 1 cup flour. Add in rest of flour and baking soda. Mix until blended.

Slowly add in boiling water (to avoid splashing) and vanilla. Mix on medium for 5 minutes.

Pour in to prepared pans. Bake until tooth pick comes out clean, (50 mins for 1/4 slab sheet)

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:43am
post #3 of 4

Peachshortcake
I can't thank you enough for the recipe! Comparing the proportions to my recipe (the one that doesn't work), I guess I'll just make 1X your recipe for 2-10" rounds. I'm baking in the morning and can't wait to try it -THANKS FOR COMING TO MY RESCUE!! icon_biggrin.gif
-Kim

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 4

no worries icon_smile.gif
how did it turn out for you? I took this cake to work today because one of the managers is transfering stores, and everyone loved it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%