Fondant On Dummy Cake

Decorating By idgalpal Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 6:48pm by cakechica27

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 5

I'm going to make a couple of dummy cakes and cover them with Fondant. Do I need to put a layer of butter cream on first so the fondant will adhere? If so, should I also cover the foam dummy with plastic wrap before the buttercream?
Thanks in advance!

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, I have covered dummies with fondant and I used water to damp the dummy and covered it fondant. Its easy to peel off the fondant too. I haven't tried covering them with plastic wrap first.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 5

just mist the dummy, lightly with water. or light smear of piping gel. or light smear of shortening.. when i use water or shortening. i roll fondant out on powder sugar. it sticks better for me.. hth

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 5

I had the same question. thanks. Also, when making tiered cake with some cake and some fake do you still need to support with dowels sticking through them?? will it ruin the dummies for later use??my cake layers will be an 8" and 6" , the fake will be on the bottom, a 10 and 12.

cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 5

Does anyone know how long a gel-coated fondant covered dummy will last? Don't they start to get icky after awhile? I would like to make a couple of dummies, but want to know how long they'll be pretty and not too stinky. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%