Preserveing Igrines

Decorating By shandidandi Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 1:34pm by shandidandi

shandidandi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shandidandi Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 6

I make alot of figures out of gumpaste. I recently made a baby shower cake with lots of lil things and the soon to be grand mother placed them all in a zip lock bag and accidentally dropped it. Most of it broke. My question is what can i use to help perserve these items?

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 6

Well.....I hope this doesn't sound snarky, because it isn't meant that way, but don't allow them to go in a ziploc bag all together!

You could brush or spray them with confectioner's glaze, but if they are all lumped into a bag and dropped.....

You could maybe provide a little box with cotton padding in it for cushioning the figures...or either provide instructions that tell the recipient how to properly care for them. Those doodads are so fragile....At the minimum, I'd say a box and kleenex or cotton balls/strips for transport, until they get them onto the shelf or other display place where they will stay.

shandidandi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 6

lol. when they took them home they were on a plate w cotton but grandma decided to clean and put them in a bag icon_cry.gif my thoughts exactly icon_cool.gif . I have made a lil card w the box that states do not place in bags thanks for the reply.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:56am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandidandi

lol. when they took them home they were on a plate w cotton but grandma decided to clean and put them in a bag icon_cry.gif my thoughts exactly icon_cool.gif . I have made a lil card w the box that states do not place in bags thanks for the reply.

Well bad judgement on grannies side lol!! did you have to do them over oh was the cake left w/out decor?

what about bubble sheets? those might work

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:12am
post #5 of 6

If I made cakes more often, I think I would print out a little card to go with each cake, with instructions regarding how to care for your gp figure. Otherwise you have to hope they remember everything you tell them, like keep out of sunlight, away from humidity, don't drop your ziploc bag (LOL) etc. I made a cake last year and THANK GOODNESS I happened to need something from the fridge during the party--they'd put the mermaid topper in the fridge! Bless their hearts, they just wanted to save it, but I was like NONONO!!! Not in the fridge! She'll melt away! That's when I realized you cannot assume people will know how to care for them. I think people would really appreciate having something quick and simple in print.

shandidandi Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 6

ya I have made up lil cards for care. No the cake had all the decorations, they were dropped sometime after the shower. yes i did repair some and had to remake some. ouch.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%