Servings Per Pan

Business By taxlady1 Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 12:04am by cylstrial

taxlady1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxlady1 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 16

Is there some standard to how many servings per the size of pan. I have seen Wiltons but they seem so small. Everyone I see charges by the serving so I am trying to price fairly to me and clients.. OH so new at this!!

15 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 16

wilton do a chart for party servings, which is bigger then their wedding serving chart. earlene's chart is more generous too, i think its on here somewhere.
xx

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 16

Definitely use the Wilton chart. Its the standard in the biz. Any other chart results in your giving away cake for free.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 16

ditto to leahs

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 16

i agree.. at first i use eilens.. and realized that the slices were huge...

then i went back to using wiltons... every one in the industry uses wiltons.. no matter what people tell u when they call you to order...

it is basically a 1"x 2" x The height of your cake... most of our cake are 4" high or 5" high, depending on the design... trust me.. its enough cake...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:19am
post #6 of 16

I use the wilton chart to detemrine pricing. It is a nice standard piece of cake. For a kids birthday party, it's an absolutely perfect kid size piece. People hear the words "one inch" and they think "paper thin" .... it's not.

When people buy a cake for a non-wedding event, I will tell them, for example, "a 10" round will serve 25-35, depending on how you cut it. The price is $x". The price is based on 38 servings x $3.50/serving, but I don't get into that with them. Here's how many it serves ... here's the price. Period.

Here's a pic of 1x2x4 pieces of cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

Here's how to cut cake to achieve Wilton servings: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

They are welcome to cut the 10" round cake into just 4 pieces if they want to, but they are paying for the number of pieces it's DESIGNED to serve.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:36am
post #7 of 16

As a visual aid when talking to clients, I have adopted bonjovibabe's "mock" cake servings. Hers are made of wood and painted. Mine are cut from a giant yellow car washing sponge, with waterbased craft paint for icing and filling. If people think the 1x2x4 serving sounds small, show them these on dessert plates, but make sure to charge them based on the smallest one. They always want the smaller one. Works every time.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=88648

taxlady1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxlady1 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 16

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks everyone for letting me tap into your knowledge. I will use the Wilton guide!!

This is the best website I have ever seen. No other business has a free place to gain insight from experts. Kudos to the creators!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:17am
post #9 of 16

I have the Wilton guide for the even inch numbers (6,8,etc). But I don't have the serving guide for the odd inch numbers (9,11, etc). Does anyone know where you could find those? Or do I just take a 10 and a 12 add them up and then divide?

Thanks!

cylstrial Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:18am
post #10 of 16

I have the Wilton guide for the even inch numbers (6,8,etc). But I don't have the serving guide for the odd inch numbers (9,11, etc). Does anyone know where you could find those? Or do I just take a 10 and a 12 add them up and then divide?

Thanks!

KoryAK Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:40am
post #11 of 16

pi x radius squared x height divided by 8 (1x2x4") gives you the wilton wedding servings for any pan. divide by 12 for party servings.

Or email me for the full chart I already have made up. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:10am
post #12 of 16

Kory,

Love it!

You know that one of my favorite comments is, "Let's have some fun with math!"

KoryAK Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #13 of 16

Life is so much easier when you understand math!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:38pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

pi x radius squared x height divided by 8 (1x2x4") gives you the wilton wedding servings for any pan. divide by 12 for party servings.

Or email me for the full chart I already have made up. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for this KoryAK...I am just now having to refigure tier sizes because the client has changed the number of servings needed and this is coming in very handy. icon_wink.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Life is so much easier when you understand math!

You'll enjoy this:

cylstrial Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:04am
post #16 of 16

Thanks for the formula Kory! I appreciate it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%