Chocolate For Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:03am
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone,
what kind of chocolate do you use for your chocolate covered strawberries? I tried couple of different ones, but it does not seem to produce the results I'm looking for. I would like the coating that sets but at the same time is soft when you bite into it and not very thin. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. What do you guys use?
Thanks, P

11 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:29am
post #2 of 12

If you want something soft when you bite into it use a ganache.
If you dip it into just choc. or the melts it will have a harder outer shell.

I use chef Taz's recipe for ganache. It stays shiny. It's 1 cup of heavy cream with 1 oz of unsalted butter and 1 oz of sugar brought to a simmer on the stove. (whisk it to make sure sugar is dissolved though at times).
Then pour over 12 oz of chocolate that's in a larger bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for around 5 minutes. Then whisk it together till just incorporated. The more you whisk or stir ganache the thicker it gets, so since you want it thin be careful of this.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:42am
post #3 of 12

I think I just used Ghiradhelli baking bars. I just melted them in the microwave & dipped the strawberries. It was for a cake for dh for Father's Day - my whole family ate it and loved it! (I think a pic is in my photos - I used Wilton white candy melts for the white drizzles)

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:01am
post #4 of 12

I use chocolate coating, but from a good company -not craft store chocolate. There is a huge difference in flavor. This won't need any tempering, just melt in the microwave. Tempered chocolate also has a crisp shell when set, which you don't want. Ganache is a mess if it's not ice cold, and leaves lots of chocolate behind on the plate or paper when the berry is picked up. My plain chocolate coating leaves a nice amount of coating if it's not too hot - hot leaves a thin coating. It's also soft to bite in to when out of the fridge for 10-15 minutes. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Pebbles1727 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:52am
post #5 of 12

Hi Kim,
that's exactly what I'm looking for-chocolate coating! Where do you buy it if it's not a secret? Are their different brands of this stuff? Is one better than other?
Thanks, P

Cubsfan85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cubsfan85 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:31am
post #6 of 12

I also use Ghiradelli, although I use the baking chips since I usually have them around the house for cookies. They are relatively inexpensive but much better quality that Nestle or Hersheys, you can really tell the difference in something like chocolate covered strawberries. They won't produce a soft shell but I think if you do like someone else said and add cream to make a ganache it would work.

I just picked up a huge container of strawberries last night.. I think I know what I'm going to make tomorrow! icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:42am
post #7 of 12

merkens brand is a great brand. i use that when i use chocolate to dip strawberries... in fact , me and a friend are going tomorrow to clayton , n.c., to get some.. hth you can order from the internet, if you don,t have a place to go out a get them.. i use to have one closer , but it went out of business. hate that. loved her shop..

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:53am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

merkens brand is a great brand. i use that when i use chocolate to dip strawberries... in fact , me and a friend are going tomorrow to clayton , n.c., to get some.. hth you can order from the internet, if you don,t have a place to go out a get them.. i use to have one closer , but it went out of business. hate that. loved her shop..

Are you going to the NC Paper store, I only have been there once for less than 5 minutes (DH and kids in the car....) so I don't know if they carry that sort of stuff I just thought it was decorating things. If it's not there would you mind sharing where you get it from? TIA! icon_smile.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:05am
post #9 of 12

I'm making chocolate dipped strawberries for a wedding cake Friday night. I did some experimenting with different chocolate last week. detective.gif

The VERY best thing that I have found was using a box of French Truffles that we recieved at Christmas. They are called, Truffettes de France. They melt very quickly with a few seconds of heat in the microwave. So the chocolate is not hot it's just melted. Stir it around then dip your strawberries. The chocolate is fabulously perfect!!! The strawberry sets up in a few seconds. Has a nice shine. Doesn't leave melted chocolate on the parchment paper when picked up. Just the right softness to the tooth when you "bite" in! The chocolate is to die for. The people who get this cake will be very happy with the dipped strawberries!

Now I just need to find the same brand of Truffles or some similar to make these again. You'll never do it any other way.

p.s. I rinsed the cold strawberries right from the fridge. Hand dried each one and then dipped them. Because they were still cold the amount of chocolate that sticks to them when dipped was a nice thickness.

Heavenly!!! judge.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:17pm
post #10 of 12

the craft stores and even walmart carry the large bags of chocolate discs for the chocolate fountains, they work very well to dip strawberries. it sets up and is not too hard to bite into. it also tastes great, and is not expensive, esp. if you use a coupon.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 12

Hi Pebbles1727,

I use Wilbur Chocolate from Lititz, PA. It's local, and very creamy and good! You can order from their website www.wilburbuds.com . I use the white chocolate and dark chocolate discs, but they also carry real chocolate (which needs to be tempered), so be sure to buy the coating. PM me if you need any other info. Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Pebbles1727 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks you all, this gives me some things to try,
Thanks again, P

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%