Fondant Ribbon Cutter/embosser Set

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 1:37am by Tortess

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 15

Has anyone out there used this product? If you have can you tell me the secret to using it? When I have tried, I rolled my fondant thin, then ran the cutter over it. It didn't cut all the way through. I used the zig zag cutter set. When I peeled it apart it left like a fuzzy edge. I didn't get a clean cut. Is it possible. Any help would be appreciated. I spent a good deal of money on it not to work. icon_cry.gif

14 replies
Tortess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tortess Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 15

I'd love to help you, but I've had the same problems. Hope we get an answer here!

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 15

Try putting a hard surface like a cel-board underneath it. And you can add a bit of gumpaste to the fondant to make it a bit more firm. HTH

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 15

Hmmm interesting.. i was wondering about this product..i can't wait to see if this is a common problem. I'm glad i saw this before i bought it too.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 15

What does this one look like? Who makes it?

sheilabelle Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 15

Are we allowed to say who made it? I have mentioned brand names before and had them blocked. Let's just say that it is made by a very common manufacturer. Very big in cake decorating, can take their classes, buy their pans, flavorings, books, etc. Sorry about all the secrecy. I don't know what names I can mention. icon_redface.gif

sheilabelle Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:49pm
post #7 of 15

Are we allowed to say who made it? I have mentioned brand names before and had them blocked. Let's just say that it is made by a very common manufacturer. Very big in cake decorating, can take their classes, buy their pans, flavorings, books, etc. Sorry about all the secrecy. I don't know what names I can mention. icon_redface.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 15

you can say Wilton. You might want to check out the FMM Multi ribbon cutter. I'm sure Global sells it and the blocked one S u g a r c raf t and lots of other places.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 15

I have the FMM Multi ribbon cutter and it's perfect.

learnincakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnincakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:59pm
post #10 of 15

I have that one too. I have to press down really hard to get a clean cut. I usually use a cutting board or mat under when I am cutting. Haven't used it in awhile, but it seems the plastic just doesn't cut like metal does. I would love to find a metal one.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:01am
post #11 of 15

I was wondering if you were talking about the Wilton one. I had that one and threw it out! I now have the FMM Multi Ribbon Cutter and it works great.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:04am
post #12 of 15

I have the Wilton one and haven't used mine much I did this weekend and the cuts were horrible. Not clean at all, no matter how hard I pressed.

sweetsbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyJ Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:07am
post #13 of 15

I have the wilton one and its okay...THe cuts are definitely not clean and its a PITA to change the size and all that.. I think I might purchase the FMM one.

sheilabelle Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:10am
post #14 of 15

Anyone want to purchase a fondant cutter/embosser? Almost new, used only once! icon_biggrin.gificon_cry.gif Ya, I started this post and am dissapointed that no one had a magic remedy for this thing. I feel soooooo stupid. I don't have a lot of extra money laying around to blow on things that don't work. I guess next time I'll ask around here before I hand over the money. If anyone comes up with something, please let me know. icon_smile.gif

Tortess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tortess Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:37am
post #15 of 15

I'm so glad to read this. I thought I was an idiot. Now I don't feel bad one of my wheels got melted on the stove! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%