Cornstarch Marks On Dried Gumpaste Flowers...

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 2:43pm by plbennett_8

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all! Can anyone tell me how to remove cornstarch marks on dried gumpaste roses? I use a puff filled with cornstarch when making the roses. I've tried just using a dry clean paintbrush to remove the cornstarch but the roses still look dusty (and dusty on red roses doesn't look too great). Any ideas? Thanks so much!

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 7

Dip an extremely clean (new is best) soft bristle paint brush into a clear drinking alcohol: vodka, gin, EverClear and go over the petals. It should take care of it. I
If you have an airbrush, running the drinking alcohol thru it and spraying the flowers should do the same thing.
If you have a misting bottle with a very, very fine spray, you could also try that.

I'd suggest not bothering with any significant amount of cornstarch when making gum paste flowers. A little crisco to roll on and then just the tiniest dabs of cornstarch should leave you with pretty "dust-free" flowers when finished.

HTH
Rae

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:38am
post #3 of 7

I alsways use a hand held steamer hasn't failed me yet thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:08am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski

I alsways use a hand held steamer hasn't failed me yet thumbs_up.gif

I found that if the coating of strictly CS is very thick, direct steaming can lead to a cloudy/dull finish when it mixes with the steam and melted sugar coating and then dries.

The steamer is wonderful when setting petal dusts & luster dusts.

Rae

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:26am
post #5 of 7

Sometimes if you brush some petal dust to shade them, that will help with the cornstarch. If your using too much cornstarch maybe your gumpaste is too sticky. Do you make your own?
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 7

Well I tried brushing the petals with vodka and after it dried it looked all shiny which would have been okay but it was a streaky shiny. Oh well, next time I'll just try not to use so much cornstarch.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 7

Since you have "cleaned" them with alcohol, I would now use the steam icon_wink.gif It may take the streaks out... If you don't have a steamer, just boil some water and quickly pass the flower over the pot... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%