Why It's Fun Living Next Door To Another Decorator

Business By niccicola Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 1:23am by Deb_

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 8

I just became legal last August. Before then, we had people stopping by all the time looking for the cake lady. We'd always say "I do cakes, but I don't think I'm the one you are looking for" and we'd laugh hahaha but I couldn't figure out who it was they were doing business with.

When i became legit, of course i did a search of how many in the area are decorators. Turns out 3 houses down from me is a decorator. My address is 917 and hers is 937 so that's why everyone came to me LOL

So, last Friday, I've got a sink full of dishes, cakes on the counter, cakes on the stove, icing and fondant all over my kitchen table, I'm doing a crumb coat on another cake and I'm wearing "lounge" clothes. It was a beautiful day so I had the door open to my kitchen which is also the door most often used.

I see my cat hop in the door out of the corner of my eye and then a figure. It startles me, but there's this woman, all smiles! She's peeks in and says Hey! I have the most confused look on my face especially when she lets herself in. I get up and walk to her, who is already writing out a check on my counter. I say, "can I help you?" and she says "I'm here to pick up the cupcakes."

I say "no you're not. LOL I don't have any deliveries until tomorrow. Are you looking for ***so and so's cakes***?" She shows me a piece of paper that has my address and some random cell phone number. I said, "I'm pretty sure you're looking for **so and so** at 937" she didn't believe me, but I finally convinced her to go there because we both do cakes.

I'm laughing the whole way through this because it's the first time I had a customer of hers stop by since I became a business, and of ALL times, she comes by when it's so obvious that I do cakes. I'm sure she thought I was messing with her.

7 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 8

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That is too funny. It could be a good thing, especially if they wanted to try someone different.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 8

LOL that's hilarious!

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:45am
post #4 of 8

Do the two of you get along well? I mean you and the decorator down the road.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:51am
post #5 of 8

lol and she's already writng the check?

bittersweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweet Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 8

I was at our cake supply one day and was chatting with the girl who worked there. One thing leads to another we found out we are neighbor we live on the same street and our kids go to the same private school. What are the odds of that? We met 30 miles away from our homes and we live on the same street. We are now business partners and our opening our first locations. It is very cool that this happened to us. Maybe you'll be as lucky as us. icon_biggrin.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:08am
post #7 of 8

Well, I have yet to meet her. But a lot of the people in the neighborhood are the "I keep to myself and you keep to yourself" country folk, ya know? We talk with the surrounding neighbors (across the street, to our left, to our right, and across the street to the left)

Now, I signed my 2 kids up for a children's cooking class through the city and turns out another decorator took her daughter there. We became instant friends, but lost touch for this reason or that. She doesn't consider decorators as "competition" but that's easy for her to say considering she's the ONLY 3D/sculptor decorator in town. She's very picky with what orders she takes, so I get her sloppy seconds LOL

I do'nt care...send 'em over!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:23am
post #8 of 8

Wouldn't it be cool if she was a member here! icon_smile.gif Maybe you have "spoken" with her on this site and don't even know it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%