Price Of Hi-Ratio

Decorating By CakesIMake Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 6:12pm by dandelion56602

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:51am
post #1 of 30

I was thinking about using hi-ratio instead of crisco ((walmart brand)) of shorting..I'm curious what the price difference is. From what I hear there is a place about 1/2 hr away that sells it but I don't know how much it costs. Is it really expensive?

29 replies
hazelnut77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelnut77 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:12am
post #2 of 30

I was curious about hi ratio shortening so i bought a 3 lb tub for $7.99. Haven't used it yet though, and i have no idea how much crisco is.

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 30

It seems like most places sell the 3-lb tubs for $7-$8. No one around me carries it so I have to order it -- with shipping I end up paying about $16-$17.

Sarah

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 30

I only know that the cost of a 50 lb. box of Sweetex hi-ratio has shot through the roof over the last 5-6 months! I think the last time I checked it was nearing $150. I've since begun using hi-ratio only for wedding cakes or more elaborate cakes, and make myself happy using crisco on sheet cakes and other simple cakes. Hi-ratio really is a dream to work with though!!!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 30

Do you have a restaurant supply or a wholesale food supply? We have a Cash 'N Carry & I asked if I could get hi-ratio. It was called Cake & Icing Shortening, but it was about 1/2 the price of Sweetex & it works like a charm, no aftertaste & soooooo smooth. The brand was Wesson Super Quik Blend

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 30

Another thing to factor in is that while it costs more, you use less per batch...

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Do you have a restaurant supply or a wholesale food supply? We have a Cash 'N Carry & I asked if I could get hi-ratio. It was called Cake & Icing Shortening, but it was about 1/2 the price of Sweetex & it works like a charm, no aftertaste & soooooo smooth. The brand was Wesson Super Quik Blend

cake shortening is hi-ratio??? Also does it crust?

Thank you so much for this info. There is a place nearby ""restaurant Depo"" that I know for sure sells cake shorting, but it's sold in bulk...I wonder how long it stays good for?

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 30

There's a cake supply store about 30-40 mins away from me so I emailed them to see if they carried it and they do. It's $5.50 per Kg, which equals about 2.2 pounds.
Does anyone happen to know how many batches I could get out of that? I tried looking for an online conversion to find out how many cups that equalled but I had no luck.
(I'm in Canada BTW)

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:39am
post #9 of 30

JulyMama:
The recipe I use calls for 2 cups of Hi ratio, which is 16 oz or 1lb. So per KG you could get 2 batches. My recipe make a 5 lbs batch!! Love the smoothness of it. Even tho I hobby decorate, I still use it.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:47am
post #10 of 30

Hi JulyMama,

I believe that the weight of high ratio shortening is the same if not similar to reg shortening (ie crisco) so in that case 1 cup is approx 195g (I sat down and figured that out ages ago from a crisco can (yup, nothing better to do icon_lol.gif ). So for 1 kg you would have approx 5 cups.

I just double checked my #'s with one of sugarshack's recipes here and it is almost exactly the same.

I think with here's it yielded 5.05 cups, mine 5.1 cups.

1 cup = 195 g = 6.9 oz therefore

1kg = 35.3 oz = 5.1 cups

According to this recipe:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7325-0-Sugarshacks-Buttercream-for-a-6qt-Mixer.html

6 ½ cups Hi-Ratio Shortening =2 lbs and 13 ½ oz = 45.5 oz therefore,
1 cup = 7 oz = 198g and
1kg = 5.05 cups

HTH!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:56am
post #11 of 30

so when you use hi ratio instead of commonly known crisco/shortening etc.. i thought i read somewhere you use less? this is with or w/o butter? sorry never used hi ratio not even sure i can find it up in my neck-a da woods......

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:59am
post #12 of 30

I wonder if I can find it here where I live. Does the container say that the shortening is hi-ratio on it. I have never bought it before. What am I looking for? Brand names?

Thanks, Carol

xstitcher Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:19am
post #13 of 30

Sweetex and Alpine are 2 brands. There are others though.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:29am
post #14 of 30

i found a cash and carry (URM) about an hour from me. will have to wait to find out of they carry what i need though

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:40am
post #15 of 30

FYI to answer a previously asked question: you can freeze the stuff to extend the shelf life. I do that cuz I usually make IMBC but like to have some HR on hand. I even froze my 1-lb package from the cake store! Just bought a 3-lb pk for $7.50 and need to freeze it soon. I portion it out into 1-cup blobs (using a scale, and saran wrap) and wrap each blob up tightly, put them all in a big ziploc and freeze. Good for peace of mind. I have had some go rancid on me before but I cannot recall how long I had it. Usually if you purchase in small quantities, your retailer has portioned it out from a bigger batch, so you don't really know how long it's been around.

xstitcher Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:50am
post #16 of 30

I remember reading in another post that the shelf life is about a year but as ceshell says you don't know how long the retailer has had it on the shelf if it was split up from a larger batch.

Ceshell, I'm pretty sure I asked you this already but did the shortening smell off when it went bad or did it just not taste right. I've had some for a while and have just not had the chance to use it. I opened it up to smell it last week and I couldn't smell anything at all, so I'm hoping it's still good.

I couldn't find the last thread....

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:35am
post #17 of 30

I've had it go bad twice. Once in my cupboard, once immediately after I purchased it from the store.

The one in my cupboard definitely smelled off. I was hoping it was my imagination so I used just a little bit...but nope, it was bad. It was my first experience with HR and it wasn't Sweetex (it was CK brand) so I don't know if that had anything to do w/it since most people swear by Alpine or Sweetex. I just bought more on Saturday but haven't tried it yet, it will be enlightening to know if it's actually a BRAND problem.

Anyway, the other one I bought was a 1lb container of Sweetex. The cake shop had portioned it out and kept it in their fridge. For that one, there was NO off smell; that's the one where the manager on duty reluctantly refunded my money but seemed to think I was trying to cheat her. Because it had no odor whatsoever. But that rancid taste is unmistakable, at least to me (the other thread you're thinking of, my DH did not detect the difference even in taste but it gave me the shivers so I chucked it.)

I'd say make a mini, mini, mini batch of icing. You know, just a 1/4c of HR and 1/4 of butter (or even 1/8+1/8 ), a little milk, and add PS to taste. Don't try to taste the HR all by itself to see if you can detect any problems. Ask me how I know that icon_redface.gif.

xstitcher Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:43am
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Don't try to taste the HR all by itself to see if you can detect any problems. Ask me how I know that icon_redface.gif.

Did it kinda make you feel like this: Imageicon_lol.gif

sherirose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherirose Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:51am
post #19 of 30

I get HR, Sweetex at Gordon Foods. It sells for $73.00 for 50 lbs.

xstitcher Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:01am
post #20 of 30

What's Gordon Foods? I looked on-line but couldn't find Sweetex on there. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one.

I did find it at fondant source and they also have 10% if you enter cakecentral in the coupon code. Great service too! Maybe I'll have to order me some after I try the one my MIL brought me (don't know which brand it was though).

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:31am
post #21 of 30

I posted something on here a few days ago about this. I was asking if high ratio brand mattered or as long as it's high ratio does it work the same? No one really knew. I found a place online called Chocolate Shop and they have hr 50lb for under $60. Well shipping is where you get dinked of course, but still I couldn't find it for cheaper than $80 just the bucket without shipping so I saved a few bucks. But I did find some sweetex 3lb for $11.00. I thought that was a bit much. Also sugarshack uses only shortening no butter. Hmmm... it is very smooth though I love working with it. Tried it for the first time last week and fell in love with it. So I decided to but me a 50 lb tub from that place I told you.

sherirose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherirose Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:46am
post #22 of 30

Gordon Foods is a bulk supplier that services businesses and the public, we have one in our town. They do not advertise the HR. I had to call there and order it, which they had it in the next day.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm
post #23 of 30

I just received a 50# tub of icing shortening (free) from a friend & have never used it before. I can't wait & want to make some today. Do you use less & if so, how much?

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:44pm
post #24 of 30

Newnancy, free is always good! thumbs_up.gif

I would like to know about the measurement too, do you use it just like regular shortening? icon_rolleyes.gif

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:07pm
post #25 of 30

The cheapest I've seen in my area lately is 79.00 for 50lbs. The price has gone up a great deal since last year, not sure what's going on, but I have to have it, I will not use anything else.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:31pm
post #26 of 30

FYI: The cake & icing shortening I got is called Elite Vreamay by Bunge Oils out of St. Louis, MO. Maybe somebody in that area can get it locally.

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:37pm
post #27 of 30

I got this recipe from a fellow CC here and just love it. I sub the flavoring out with almond, vanilla or what ever you choose.

2 cups Sweetx Hi-Ratio (makes a huge difference!)
1 8 oz. brick Philly Cream Cheese, softened
1 TBS. Magic Line Butter Vanilla flavoring (Country Kitchen)
3 lbs. Baker/Chef Powdered Sugar (Sam's Club)
1 Tsp. white popcorn salt ( it's finer)
1/4 cup whipping cream (can use non-dairy creamer-last time I used ameretto coffee creamer)

Mix hi-ratio and cream cheese together at #4 for a couple of minutes. Add flavoring, mix again. Whisk the salt into the powdered sugar and while mixer is at stir, add it slowly to the mixer bowl alternating with the whipping cream. Once all blended, turn mixer up to 4-5 and let her go for about 5 minutes. Let rest awhile. I got one of those beater blades with the scraper built in and I LOVE it! Less air in whatever you make. I also stir with a spatula right before applying to cakes to minimize air bubbles. The ratio of sugar to cream cheese is so high that I have never had problems with spoiling even after 5 days of sitting on my counter. But I cautiously refrigerate any leftovers and use again.

There are also multiple recipes if you search for them online.

HTH

dandelion56602 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:41pm
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesIMake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

cake shortening is hi-ratio??? Also does it crust?

Thank you so much for this info. There is a place nearby ""restaurant Depo"" that I know for sure sells cake shorting, but it's sold in bulk...I wonder how long it stays good for?

Mine is cake & icing shortening. What I did was asked my Cash 'N Carry if they had hi ratio. She asked what I would use it for, I told her. She told me what they get. I looked it up on the internet & emailed Wesson to make sure it was hi-ratio. It was so I bought it ($52 for 50#, couldn't beat that).

It's not the shortening that crusts, it's the recipe. There are some recipes that use hi-ratio & don't crust, yet some do. Fat to sugar ratio.

Last time I checked Sweetex was $95 for 50# plus about $18 for shipping. I'd be crazy to not try something that is less than 1/2 the price.

As far as rancid shortening. If you've never smelled it, call yourself blessed beyond words. I remember my first time was in a food science class & we had to smell rancid ingredients, shortening one of them. Rancid shortening will smell! If it just tastes bad it can be the brand or the base (meat vs vegetable base). This is why I asked a million ?s before I bought b/c somebrands just have a "taste" and shortening shouldn't.

For those of you who have restaurant supplies or wholesale places, ask about the Wesson Super Quick Blend. Well worth my $52!!!!

I do use use less hi-ratio. I make Sugarshack's 6 qt buttercream. I use about 1/2 c less, but I know some who use equal amounts. You'll just have to play w/ your recipe. But you will notice a remarkable difference! I will never go back!

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #29 of 30

Not sure of the ordering and shipping details I found some great prices at this site:

http://www.stovercompany.com/Product.aspx?PageID=433

dandelion56602 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:12pm
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladivacrj

Not sure of the ordering and shipping details I found some great prices at this site:

http://www.stovercompany.com/Product.aspx?PageID=433

I found that site a few months ago when trying to discover cheaper hi-ratio. The reason I didn't order is b/c it is still cheaper to get it locally since I'm sure S&H are up there (50 # is a lot to ship). But a great alternative for those who have to order----if there isn't a ungodly minimum order.

If anyone uses this site let us CCers know what S&H & customer service is like. They also have lots of other things---sleeved fillings, boxes, baking products, etc

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%