Facebook As A Marketing Tool

Business By HeidiCrumbs Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 9:36pm by sweetsbyJ

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:18am
post #1 of 13

Has this been posted about before? If so, sorry, and could someone please link me to it?

If not, has anyone done this? I have heard it is getting popular, like getting an account so that you can get the bakery's own "page" or whatever they're called. I'm new to Facebook as well and don't have all of the lingo down.

So I'm assuming that people would accept the bakery as one of their "friends" and then you can do online specials for these people which would encourage more people to sign up as a friend?

I may be way off base as I haven't Googled this yet, I'm curious if anyone else is doing this. Thanks!

Heidi.

12 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:38am
post #2 of 13

There are lots of CCers who use Facebook. I use it but haven't been on it long enough to tell you all the answers about it. I started out using it to keep in touch with friends and then posted a few pictures of cakes. It has snowballed from there and now people want to add me as a friend to view and talk about cakes. Several orders have come from there, but it wasn't my original intent. Maybe someone else will respond with more knowledge about the advertising standpoint.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:58am
post #3 of 13

I have my business on Facebook but I don't think it necessarily does much but help promote a website you already have..... its always good to have links wherever you can online though.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:08am
post #4 of 13

Facebook is another interactive social networking tool. For a business...you create a "page" and then people that want to be your friend become a "fan".

So essentially they are becoming a fan of your product. When I created mine...I started getting fans from all over the world.

I also asked all of my personal friends to become fans too...if they had my cakes and enjoyed them. I haven't fully promoted my business page...but it isn't hurting my business to have one.

Also, just like blogs, you need to participate in the community aspect to get all of the benefits. Eventually future referrals could result. Which is not a bad thing at all since it is a free site and the only investment made is time.

SliceTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SliceTheCake Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:10am
post #5 of 13

i have a facebook page for the non-profit group i work with....not for my cakes...but it does work exactly how you said. you can create a page for your business, and people can add it to their favorites or whatever. you can send messages to these people (specials, discounts, updates, whatever) and they can keep track of you as well. there are often codes for using facebook ads too so you can get some free advertising...i did this too, i think it was the visa business network that had a code for $100 ad credit. it helped out our organization...it would definitely not hurt for a cake business icon_smile.gif

good luck! and if you do set it up, i'd become a fan icon_wink.gif

cindy531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy531 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:11am
post #6 of 13
SliceTheCake Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:39am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy531

Cake Central Addicts on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=35656699297

Thanks! Just joined icon_biggrin.gif

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:53am
post #8 of 13

Cool. I joined the group. Thanks for sharing.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:06am
post #9 of 13

You can join the Cakes On Demand group look me up on facebook.

SliceTheCake Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesondemand

You can join the Cakes On Demand group look me up on facebook.

I just joined icon_smile.gif

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 13

thanks

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks so much to everyone that posted! It's exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to get licensed.......soon, very very soon......

sweetsbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyJ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:36pm
post #13 of 13

I just have pictures of my cakes in my FB profile and Ive actually gotten a few orders out of it...mostly from people that I knew in high school.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%