Crap....forgot An Ingredient In Red Velvet Wedding Cake!!

Decorating By SpoonfulofSugar Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 4:51pm by sweetjan

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 6

ok so I forgot to add the baking soda and vinegar to my red velvet cake icon_cry.gif it looks fine except of course it didn't rise. This only happened for 2 of the layers. Happen to anyone before? Can I still use these layers or do I have to re-bake? If they taste fine I'd rather just use them. Please let me know what to do.....Thanks!

5 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 6

I have no idea... can you level the cakes and taste the scraps?

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 6

They should taste fine. The only problem is the density. You will get a very dense cake. Baking soda and vinegar do nothing for the taste (they neutralize itself in this cake) but work as leavening agent. Can you live with such cake?

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 6

thanks guys...ok so I went ahead and baked another cake. turns out the cake did taste just fine but it was very dense like you said and it didn't match the other layers....like it was a lot flatter like not even one inch tall. it's a weddding cake so I have to make it perfect even if it kills me!

Thanks again

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 6

You can always make cake balls or cake pops with the scraps!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 6

Bummer, SpoonfulofSugar....but you probably won't forget an ingredient for a long time to come! Just trying to look on the up side.....!
Hope things are already going much better for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%