Any Cooks Out There? Need Help With How To Cook This Meat!

Lounge By shannon100 Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 2:20am by Parable

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 9

I know there have to be some good cooks out here! Help! I'm trying to make some budget meals this week with what I have in my pantry and freezer, without having to buy much to supplement it. (We're doing the Dave Ramsey envelope system and have $33 left for a week! Yikes! It's been a rough month.)

Anyway, we were given some meat awhile back, and I want to use it. I have tenderized round steak (like you make chicken fried steak with), pork cutlets and beef cutlets. I really would like to avoid chicken fried steak, as we are trying to be more healthy, so I need some healthier ideas.

I was thinking maybe I could use one of these for stir-fry. Think the round steak would be good for that? I have almost everything else I'd need for it, except some seasonings, but I'm not sure if that meat will taste ok in a stir fry.

What are some other healthy ways to prepare tenderized round steak, pork cutlets and beef cutlets?

Thanks!!

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 9

Round steak is excellent in a stirfry!! I actually use it all the time because it is a reasonably priced meat and tastes good.Also try kabobs with it!

tthardy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tthardy78 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 9

I don't have any ides but check out www.allrecipes.com, maybe there are some ideas on there.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 9

A good trick to remember when using "less expensive" cuts of beef is to marinate it. For a stir fry you could marinate in Terriyaki, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper, brown sugar, dry mustard, orange or pineapple juice and a little oil. I don't have measurements because I'm an "eye ball it" type of cook. Just marinate over night or a few hrs until ready to use.

Any meat that has been marinated will be more tender. You can use the above on pork also.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 9

I use the tenderized round steak for pepper steak and onions.

I slice it into strips, stir fry it in a skillet (no oil added) until it is browned nice. I add water and simmer the meat for a while to make it more tender. Then I add sliced green peppers and onions, cook until fork tender, then I thicken the liquid with corn starch. I season it with salt and pepper and serve over steamed rice.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 9

Fijitas would also be great.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 9

With the pork cutlets you could simmer them in chopped can tomatos and ortega chilis or the mexican seasoned can tomatos. You can just dump it in the crock pot. They're great in burritos or over white rice.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:10am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for all the great ideas! I love getting "tried-and-true" suggestions from people. I've used allrecipes.com before, but it's hard to narrow it down to the cheap cuts of meat I have. haha I'll be trying some of these out this week! icon_smile.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:20am
post #9 of 9

.....and don't forget to cut the meat against the grain (at an angle).....this keeps the meat from being so chewy (i.e., tough).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%