Wilton Gumpaste

Decorating By babeebk Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 3:08pm by ibmoser

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 9

I have a bit of dilemma and need the advice of CC'ers. I got a last minute request to do a gift box cake for a bridal shower next weekend. I've only used Satin Ice gumpaste but I'm all out. I know Wilton makes gum paste but is it any good? I could order Satin Ice online and pay for expedited shipping or I can try to Wilton stuff from Michaels. They have the ready to use and the mix, which is better?

I'll be attempting the confetti cakes gift box style cake with the lid propped open. Can I use Wilton gum paste for the sugar work? Please advise. TIA!

8 replies
muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 9

I've used Wilton Gumpaste. I haven't had any problems with it..the only thing I can suggest is to follow the directions about letting it rest before you use it.. the first time I used it I didn't do this and it kind of felt a little gritty... might not have been from the resting, but still.. lol... Good luck!

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 9

I think Wilton would be just fine to use - I have only bought the premade packages of it, but I am thinking that next time I will buy the mix and make it myself. Sometimes the pre-made stuff is a little hard on the edges when I open the package. I think it should work fine for your last minute project though instead of spending the extra $$ for the Satin Ice.

cakegurl122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegurl122 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 9

I have used the already made Wilton gumpaste, and it tends to have hard "chunks" in it sometimes. Very annoying! lol but a fresh bag is usually ok icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 9

I prefer Wilton pre-maked gum paste over Satin Ice. The Wilton holds it shape very well and it dries super fast.

I take the whole thing out of the bag (no easy feat and I often just cut the bag off), cut off any dry edges (yes, it's waste, but sometimes I save it and then dissolve it in water to make gum glue), and then cut off what I need. I rub the leftover with crisco, double wrap it in saran wrap, and put it in a zip lock bag with the air pressed out.

I take the piece that I'm going to use and knead in a bit of crisco, wrap it in saran, and let it rest for a little while. I re-knead it a bit before rolling it out.

I used the powdered mix once and I'll never deal with that mess again.

Before I buy a bag of the pre-made, I squeeze it at both ends. If I can feel a significant area of very hard product, I try another bag.

HTH
Rae

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 9

i love the premade wilton.. don,t like the can that you have to make.. i also feel the package good.. you will know if it ok or not.. i have gotten more good packages than bad.. even the recipes we make.. an get hard on the edges.. so get the wilton premade.. hth

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 9

What about making your own gumpaste? But in anycase the wilton is good.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 9

I use the Wilton for mine without any issues. When I first open the package, the very top edge is a little hard so i pull that off and stick it in a baggie to use for my "glue" and the rest of it is soft.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 9

I, too, have used and liked the Wilton premade (not the dry mix stuff). As BlakesCakes and bakingatthebeach said, feel for a soft package and remove any little crusty parts before kneading. I'm in a very high humidity area, and it holds its shape well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%