What's The Best Way To Roll Out Fondant?

Decorating By mamanof3 Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 5:23am by pinkcamo

mamanof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamanof3 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:55am
post #1 of 10

Relatively new to cake decorating. Next week I will be doing my fourth cake using fondant. So far online I've read to use either cornstarch or icing sugar on table/counter surface to help the fondant not to stick. However, I find that I need to use a generous amount in order for it not to stick to table/counter and then left with remnants of it on the fondant once placed on the cake. Any help would be appreciated.

9 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:05am
post #2 of 10

Buy a piece of vinyl table cloth - the clear smooth one you get to buy by meter. I can get it here even in the home depot or dollar stores (well, the equivalents). Lay it on your counter, dust it a little with icing sugar and roll the fondant on it. It doesn't stick as much, costs almost nothing, you can cut the fondant on it. You can even take the rolled out fondant with the vinyl sheet, flip it on your cake and peel the vinyl there. Best and cheapest buy for my fondant work. icon_biggrin.gif
After use, wash it well, roll it around empty paper towel tube or a dowel. It is better than folding - the creases could set. But than you would get a DIY impressions mat.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:13am
post #3 of 10

I have a large Tupperwre mat from years ago that i use - and a XLarge rolling mat that i bought from over the net - both work exceptionally well as i don't require any other medium (corn flour / sugar) when rolling -
Just wash as majka_ze above said - but i lay mine flat - so as they don't get any kinks in them.

ps - i just dampen my bench top a little and both mats stay in place and thus no slipping and sliding whilst i am rolling.

Bh icon_smile.gif

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 10

I have cheap-o laminate countertops and I roll my fondant right on them with the long Wilton fondant roller. I don't usually need anything to keep it from sticking -- I just lift and turn it every once in a while to make sure it's doing okay. I usually use MMF and I personally find it easier to work with (in regards to not sticking). Good luck!

Sarah

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by majka_ze

Buy a piece of vinyl table cloth - the clear smooth one you get to buy by meter. I can get it here even in the home depot or dollar stores (well, the equivalents). Lay it on your counter, dust it a little with icing sugar and roll the fondant on it. It doesn't stick as much, costs almost nothing, you can cut the fondant on it. You can even take the rolled out fondant with the vinyl sheet, flip it on your cake and peel the vinyl there. Best and cheapest buy for my fondant work. icon_biggrin.gif
After use, wash it well, roll it around empty paper towel tube or a dowel. It is better than folding - the creases could set. But than you would get a DIY impressions mat.

This is exactly what I do as well! Wal-Mart sells it too, very cheap!

spencersmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spencersmom98 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:29pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

I have a large Tupperwre mat from years ago that i use - and a XLarge rolling mat that i bought from over the net - both work exceptionally well as i don't require any other medium (corn flour / sugar) when rolling -
Just wash as majka_ze above said - but i lay mine flat - so as they don't get any kinks in them.

ps - i just dampen my bench top a little and both mats stay in place and thus no slipping and sliding whilst i am rolling.

Bh icon_smile.gif

Ohhhh, I have the tupperwear mat, too! I'll have to try wetting the back a little the next time I roll out fondant!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:37pm
post #7 of 10

ive started using the uk equivelent of crisco (i think, lol) to roll fondant out on. just wipe some on your work top, and you are set. different people find different things work for them - things like your areas humidity can affect it, but also, just personaly preference.
xx

mamanof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamanof3 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 10

Brillian ideas! Thank you so much for your responses! This will definetely help me out a ton. Thank you, thank you, thank you icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 10

Wilton makes a mat that has the markings for various cake sizes on it...I just rolled some out last night for dummies for our fair and love the fact that for the larger ones I could just take the mat, flip it onto the dummy, and peel away...However, since I have a visual depth perception issue, I find the markings on the mat quite helpful for getting the proper size rolled out....The mat has a slight amount of Crisco rubbed onto it and it helps the fondant slide right off easily.

I SO admire the people that can do it free-hand...Sigh!!!

Paul (& Peter)

pinkcamo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkcamo Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:23am
post #10 of 10

I use upholstry vinyl with a lil bit of cornstarch! I have 2 yards; large enough to cover my dining room table... the best $6.00 I've ever spent!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%