Polka Dots (Not Fondant)

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 3:25am by dandelion56602

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 9

I have someone that's wanting polka dots on a cake, but not fondant. What would be the best way?

I've thought

RI
Buttercream ones (done like a Buttercream Transfer)
Buttercream smoothed w/ PS

Anyother thoughts? Or what would be easiest?

8 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 9

I'd go with the buttercream smoothed with ps. JMO

amielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amielyn Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 9

I made polka dots on a cake with Candy Melts, I just stuck them in the icing with the flat side facing out

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 9

I would probably do buttercream. But now that amielyn suggested candy melts...well that sounds so so easy!!! what a great tip Thanks!

spencersmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spencersmom98 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 9

The last one I did like that, I imprinted the dots (with a cookie cutter) on top of the base icing. Then I filled the dots with BC, and smoothed with a towel. Worked for me!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 9

Don't make more work for yourself! Just pipe "blobs" of bc on the cake with whatever tip corresponds to the size dots you want, then smooth them with a small piece of Viva papertowel. If you looks at any of my polka dotted cakes, about 90% are done this way. Very easy and doesn't require trying to match colors with different mediums like RI or chocolate because you use the bc you're already using to decorate the cake!

Hope that helps someone.

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 9

I was going to suggest Bc too, and to smooth it out. That's what I did on my latest cake, but now candy melts sounds like a better idea (and more tasty, personally.) Doing it with Bc was time-consuming for me. I did them by outlining with the circle fondant cutters and filling in, and after a little while, smoothing them. I did a lot of those, with variation. Check out my pic if you want to, you'll see what I mean icon_smile.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 9

I agree with arosstx that's how I do mine.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:25am
post #9 of 9

Thanks. I think I'll go with smoothing it w/ a paper towel. don't know why that never crossed my mind. I've done chocolate dots before, but it's harder to get chocolate to the color you want than bc or ri.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%