New In The Forum!

Decorating By dulceleche Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm by dulceleche

dulceleche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulceleche Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 8

Hello Cake Experts!
I am new in this site and I love it! I been making cakes as long as I can remember, but now I learned how to decorate them icon_wink.gif
I have some questions for you:
I bought some new W aluminum pans and my cakes shrink when they are done. What's going on? I've never had this happen... Is it the brand? Which brand is best?
Do you use dowel rods to support a ball shaped cake on top on another cake?
Is there a link with improved cake mix recipes?
What kind of fillings do not require refrigeration?

Thanks a lot for anyone willing to answer!!

7 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 8

Hi Dulche! Welcome to Cake Central!!

My cakes always shrink a teeny bit. Most people on here prefer Magic Line or Fat Daddio's pans.

As for the ball cake on top of another cake, yes you will need to use some type of support system. For something like that, I would just use wooden dowels.

There are tons of recipes on here. You can just go to the recipes tab and check it out. If you are wanting "doctored" cake mixes a lot of people will share with you here in the forum, if you just ask for a specific type of recipe. For instance, a doctored red velvet cake. I know a lot of people will use that the doctored cake cookbook as well.

I'm just generalizing here, but most of the time if something is stored in the fridge before you make it, it will have to go back into the fridge. Buttercreams (depending on what is in the recipe) can be left out.

Hope this helps a little bit!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 8

One more thing. You will find this acronym list helpful for translating in the forums!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 8

Welcome to CC.

My cakes always shrink a bit. Why? I don't know. Aside from that, I'd recommend using a support system for the exta layer, straws cut to size will work just fine. Look in the recipe section for fillings, there are lots of them. HTH.

And, again, Welcome to CC!!

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 8

Welcome to CC
Here is a thread that you can get gourmet cake flavors from. This is an awesome thread to read, it has gotten very long but your will love it.

Melissa

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614554.html

dulceleche Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 8

THANK YOU THANK YOU!! I love this forum and it is truly addictive!
I can definitely help you back on how to use dulce de leche combinations for fillings (a must in a cake in my home country Argentina)

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 8

Hi and Welcome to CC, dulceleche. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188.html

Above superthread has info on making your own pan grease, use of heat cores or inverted flower nails and baken even strips to get the most level cakes possible.

Also popular CC recipes for: doctored cake mix (WASC and variations), crusting American buttercreams and fondant.

As well as links to Wilton for cake preparation and assembly help. Also links to illustrated cake support systems with complete directions.. And so much more.

HTH

dulceleche Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks again, SO much info!! Will I have time to bake after spending time on CC?
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%