Please Comment On Cake Smoothness

Decorating By aswartzw Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 12:06pm by aswartzw

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:04am
post #1 of 14

I'm practicing for my wedding cake and this is tonight's trial of smoothing the cake using SMBC. I tried the bench scraper but couldn't get it to work to smooth the icing so I went back to my normal method (hot spatula). Any tips on finishing smoothing it are greatly appreciated. I'm a bit annoyed that it's not smoother.
LL

13 replies
classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:12am
post #2 of 14

I use a smooth plastic edger that has a little flexibility to it..not a ridgid one. I spin the turntable and hold the edger at a 45 degree angle. I don't pull the scaper much at all when smoothing. I let the moving turntable do most of the work while I hold the edger stable against the cake. I start on the sides, then when the sides are smooth, I pull the top edge across the center of the cake and go all around the top.

I use a non-crusting buttercream. If I need a smoother finish, then I put the cake in the freezer for about 15 minutes and then take out and smooth down any remaining marks.

This is how I iced all the cakes in my gallery...I can get them VERY smooth. It does take some practice.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:13am
post #3 of 14

The way I smooth mine:

I use Viva paper towels.....no designs on them. First, I ice (BC without air bubbles) my cake, let sit for 5 mins......then I lay viva paper towel on top and smooth with wilton fondant paddles, they rock (walmart has them for 3.99 ea.) for smoothing. Then lay your viva towel down sides and move paddle smoothing sides. You can lay a paddle on top and the side to give you a nice edge also while moving it around the sides of the cake. Then if that is still not smooth enough for you, you can take a sheet of computer paper and do the same thing with it. I only use viva it does wonders. My smoothest cake is my st. patty's day cake. I am still learning also and still have alot more smoothing to learn but I hope this helps you icon_smile.gif

I am going to try and find you a video on utube know they have one. icon_smile.gif

Chippi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:26am
post #4 of 14

Your cakes look fine, I think a lil viva paper towel or paper if you prefer would finish them off like you want. icon_smile.gif

Here is a couple of videos for you,

Edna's How To Ice a Cake video: (excellent)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXHFqpJK84&feature=channel_page

another one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeEOMdiSkGw&feature=related

Hang in there, I'm still learning also. HTH's

Chippi icon_smile.gif

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:42am
post #5 of 14

she can't use viva as it's SMBC (non crusting).

i guess, what classiccake said.

Chippi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:20am
post #6 of 14

sorry my bad reading forum's way to late and need to go to bed.

smbc> simply smooth buttercream (j/k) lol

going to try smbc soon it sounds wonderful.

good luck hope you find someone who knows more about smbc.

aswartzw Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 14

Chippi, thanks for trying to help. I gave up crusting BC because I hated viva. It works but I'm awful at it. I at least have a chance with SMBC. icon_lol.gif

Classiccakes, what kind of plastic edger did you use? I definitely did not do it at a 45 degree angle when I tried mine; maybe I should try again. I did like how the bench scraper leveled the sides of the cake. That's a definite plus for me. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for the tips, guys.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 14

I have a question about SMBC. Do you do a crumb coat and then put another coat on top? I've only made SMBC once or twice but I love it. So I'm just wondering if it's a possible to do a second coat?

Thanks!

aswartzw Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:30pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I have a question about SMBC. Do you do a crumb coat and then put another coat on top? I've only made SMBC once or twice but I love it. So I'm just wondering if it's a possible to do a second coat?

Thanks!

I haven't but I don't see why not. I usually just put on a very thick layer and scrape down. But you could try doing one and throwing it in the freezer to really firm up before doing the next layer. I don't think it would hurt it but there are many others much more experienced than I.

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:45am
post #10 of 14

Yes it is possible to do a crumb coat on SMBC that's how I do all of my choc cake so I don't get crumbs on the toplayer, I've also found putting the SMBC in the fridge for 5-10 min then pulling it out and smoothing any bumps dowm with a clean glove helps.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:05am
post #11 of 14

I've never used SMBC so I don't know how it differs but I do use IMBC and I use the sugarshack method. I have a scraper thing and dip it in how water, wipe it dry and smooth. It's worked well for me and I don't use a paper towl. Oh and I refrigerate the cake so the butter sets before I do the hot scraper thingy.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:05am
post #12 of 14

Not that I'm the best at smoothing butter cream by any means, but I wanted to point out that it looks like your BC is fairly smooth, but what you need to work on is getting your edge straight and a level coat of icing on the top of the cake. I think if you check out Edna's video, it will help. It shows you how to do that.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:14am
post #13 of 14

The plastic "edger or scraper" is sold at most cake decorating sites. Sometimes it is called a bowl scraper because one side is rounded. It is similar to a bench scraper, except it is plastic. They do wear and chip on the edge after being used and then you get a streak through your icing. If this happens, you can use sandpaper to smooth the edge again.

BTW, always smooth with the staight edge, not the beveled edge.

aswartzw Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:06pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks guys! Off to practice some more. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%