Newbie With Stupid Fondant Questions

Decorating By Liza_Lee Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 8:22pm by jamiekwebb

Liza_Lee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liza_Lee Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 6

Hi! I'm new here.

I took a cake decorating class when I was in my late teens and did several cakes back then, culminating in my brother's wedding cake. Unfortunately, life got too busy and I haven't done any cakes in years.

I decided to take the plunge with my husband's 50th birthday cake. Back when I did cakes, fondant wasn't popular.

I just have a couple of quick, probably stupid, questions about how to put this cake together. It is WASC cake with buttercream filling and frosting and fondant cut-outs for decoration.

I'm going to fill and crumb coat today, then put on my final coat of buttercream tomorrow. The party is tomorrow night.

After the buttercream has crusted and smoothed, do I need to use something to stick on the fondant cut-outs? I also have some molded chocolate things I want to put on the side. How do I attach those?

Am I forgetting something important? Am I a goofball to try this?

Any advice would be VERY gratefully accepted!

Thanks!

5 replies
lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome to CC!

I brush my fonant accents with a little water to attach. For the chocolate pieces, I'm not sure about water but maybe buttercream or royal icing?

Hope tht helps!

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 6

Hello Liza Lee....
First of all no question is stupid! We all keep learning everyday....I would put some buttercream on the back of your decoration, and gently apply to the cake. Same with the chocolates....

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 6

First of all..........WELCOME!!!!!! And second of all..........there ARE no stupid questions!!!!!!

I use fondant, and usually just use the buttercream underneath the fondant, but I don't see why you couldn't just put some extra buttercream on the back of your fondant pieces to attach.............

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Marmette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marmette Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 6

so get the fondant to stick i usually brush it with a little bit of flavouring or water. and it shld be fine.
bout the chocolate pieces im not too sure.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 6

if you do it before your buttercream completly crusts you can just push (gently) them in.... as long as they aren't to heavy. If not just use a small dab of BC... it always works for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%