3D Hello Kitty Cake - Ears?

Decorating By Kait_ate_Lyn Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 4:43pm by CakeMommy3

Kait_ate_Lyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kait_ate_Lyn Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 2

I'm attempting a 3D Hello Kitty cake soon! I'll be using the Wilton Sports Ball for the head (as i've read thats my best bet) but I was wondering what to shape the ears out of.
I thought about rice treats but I was nervous about putting something too heavy on the cake, in fear they will just slide off when I cover it in fondant.

I'll be carving the sports ball a bit to have the shape be more kitty-ish but I can't imagine there being enough cut off to form the little ears.
I'm hoping to cover this in fondant, which I could also use ANY advice on. I've never covered anything circular before!

Thanks so much to anyone who can help. I've learned everything I know from this site alone.

-Kaitlyn thumbs_up.gif [/i]

1 reply
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 2

I would make the ears out of the treats, then cover them in fondant-but make it a little thicker so that the bumps don't show through. Then stick a dowel through the bottom of them, and when they dry a bit, stick them into the cake. I would make them a day or two before the rest of the cake, so they have time to set up and not squish when you manipulate them.

For covering the ball shape, Roll out your fondant thicker than usual, to allow for all the extra stretching and smoothing, and much bigger than you will actually need. Elevate the cake on a wide soup can, so the fondant can flow straight down. Then just smooth like crazy! Work in small sections, going all around the cake. Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%