Computer Cake And Ubfunkeys?

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 2:52am by prterrell

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:07am
post #1 of 4

OK, I was asked about making a computer cake and some UBFunkeys. Now, I asked... 'What the heck is a UBFunkey?' icon_biggrin.gif

here they are:
http://www.firebox.com/product/1804/UBFunkeys

So I gather they're little robot-looking toys that connect and interact with your computer. Not a problem, they look pretty simple to make, right?

My friend would like a computer cake, with Funkeys randomly placed around it. So.. I can envision how to make a laptop, but I can't envision how to make the screen... I'm guessing styro or rkt? What I can't wrap my head around is how to make it stand up, so the laptop is open and secure (without a bunch of eye-sore supports showing) and still looks like a laptop.

Anyone have any ideas?

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 4

I'd use styro. Use hot glue to glue the styro directly to the cake board. Then deco the styro. Deco the cake and set it up against the deco'd styro. Hope that makes sense! icon_smile.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 4

It does, thank you!
Do you have to buttercream the styro before stciking the fondant to it, or is there another way?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:52am
post #4 of 4

You can just spritz it with water from a spray bottle to get the fondant to stick to the styro.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%