How To Decorate A Pina Colada Cake With Coconut Frosting?

Decorating By niccicola Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 6:15pm by Niliquely

niccicola Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 7

i'm really torn on this cake. it's not due until saturday, so i still have time to make flowers, either fondant or royal icing, but i'm just not sure...

should i ice the whole cake in coconut buttercream and then throw on shredded coconut. maybe add a little flower on the top, but keep the decorating simple? i kind of like the shredded coconut look but for $40 i feel like i should do more with it.

should i try to decorate this as a normal birthday cake with borders and bells and whistles?

any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

6 replies
patticakesnc Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 7

I do a pineapple coconut cake (kind of the same thing). I ice then over in coconut and decorate with chunk pineapple and marishino (sp) cherries on the top. Not too many just like a border.

Niliquely Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 7

You could press coconut on the sides only and then put a border and decorate the top.

eneq Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 7

so how big is this cake? 8" 10" 12"? or how many will it feed? also, did they specifically want a plain cake or decorated? some places in my area charge 45 for 10" round....very plain, just the regular frosting but the cake is from scratch.

Heavenlydelights107 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 7

I saw acake recently done with pineapple slices cut into flower shapes and the top was dec'd with that. very cute!

niccicola Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 7

it's an 8x2 round. according to my chart if will feed 20.

i was not given any details except "I want a pina colada cake...." even after asking multiple times i have the feeling they don't care, they just want.

im thinking of going for the shredded coconut on the sides and top and doing a few cute fondant flowers on the top. maybe making a "gift tag" from fondant, too, with "happy birthday so and so"

Niliquely Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 7

I'm sure they will love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%