Satin Ice Vs Choco-Pan

Decorating By Allidsk8 Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm by SHogg

Allidsk8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allidsk8 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all,
I am looking for everyone's opinion on which is better? I have always made fondant from scratch, but I have 3 cakes in 3 weeks and would like to buy a pail to get me through. Any advice would be great. Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 7

I took advice from Bronyn Webber during a class I was lucky enough to get into with her. She perfers FondX. I bought some to try and it really is easier to work with and in my opinion tastes better than Satin Ice or ChocoPan.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 7

IMO choc-o-pan is the best tasting of all commercial brands. It's a little harder to work with then satin ice but it can be rolled thinner and goes farther. I've also read rave reviews about Michele Fosters recipe that can be found on this site. They say the taste is awesome and it's great to work with. There was a thread yesterday talking about adding chocolate to it and it sounded so yummy.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 7

Chocopan does taste good and is very forgiving but it is much softer because of the chocolate. If it's warm where you are, it may not be the best. I like Satin Ice as well because of the pre-made colors. I also like the dark chocolate they have. Sometimes I mix the two.

[/quote]

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 7

I haven't tried much Sating Ice but found it easy to work with. I found ChocoPan hard to work with b/c it gets so soft since it is made with chocolate. I use MMF most of the time. I don't care for the taste of any of it.

Allidsk8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allidsk8 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you for all of the responses. I too, usually use MMF and like working with it. I find it very forgiving to a newbie like me. I just can't see making all of the fondant for the 3 cakes while juggling family, work, and everything else. icon_wink.gif

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 7

I have used both a lot. But I have had more success with Choco-pan and I like the taste better. Recently the Satin Ice has been very soft and doesn't really set up very well for me, and that's without adding any color to it. I am doing a cake soon using the white choco-pan for the first time, so I will be curious to see how that acts and tastes.
tiggy2, I love your avatar!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%