Tips For Shoes

Decorating By adven68 Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 6:19pm by grannys3angels

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hi there...

I don't use molds to make my sugar shoes, so I always had the most trouble with supporting the arches as they dry into a believable shoe shape. The other day I happen to have a 7 lb. bag of 10x sugar on my counter (from Costco) & it was a perfect solution for me. It was half empty and I was able to form it into the exact shape of the arch. I just let them sit there for a couple of hours till they dried, before I attached them to the heels.

I use fondant to make my shoes, and as I work, I mix in a little gum-tex powder to help it harden.
I also use black fondant instead of painting the fondant. I found that painting a shoe weakens it & makes it sag, even after it has dried. I brush on a little diluted piping gel to get the shine on the shoes. I made my templates from the soles of a real shoe and use the same ones every time.

I hope that helps someone.

4 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:00am
post #2 of 5

Thanks for the tip! I haven't done any shoes yet but I plan on it sometime soon....

Thanks again.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 5

adven68 what do you dilute the piping gel with?

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

adven68 what do you dilute the piping gel with?

I dilute it with as lttle water as possible to make it go on smoothly with a brush. (It's a little thick right out of the container)

BTW...I refer everyone to your article for shoes...it's a great tutorial.

Thanks!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 5

Great info on using the PS...I could see how it would be prefect for shaping to make the arch. Thank You! for sharing this tip.
God Bless,
Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%