Ladybugs Out Of Buttercream Icing

Decorating By Linta3 Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 5:03pm by fiddlesticks

Linta3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linta3 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake for my granddaugther 1st birthday and they want ladybugs climbing up the cake. I have never made a ladybug out of buttercream icing before. Can someone please help the cake is due April 1 Busymom

6 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 7

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/765688/buttercream_ladybug_cake_decorating_cakegenie/
This is a video on youtube showing you how to make some. I'm sure there are different techniques, but this is a start icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 7

Just guessing here, 'coz I've never made them. But if I were going to, I'd use about a #12 tip and make the body of the bug in red icing, elongation it to an oval shape and not just a round "dot". Add some black dots on the back, and a black line down the center (to divide the wings) using a #2, or maybe a #3. About a #4 or #5 tip to make a small head, with #1 tip eyes.

I'm basing this guessing on how I make my ladybug cupcakes.

Linta3 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 7

Cake mommy 3
thank you so much this will be a great help

Linta3 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Just guessing here, 'coz I've never made them. But if I were going to, I'd use about a #12 tip and make the body of the bug in red icing, elongation it to an oval shape and not just a round "dot". Add some black dots on the back, and a black line down the center (to divide the wings) using a #2, or maybe a #3. About a #4 or #5 tip to make a small head, with #1 tip eyes.

I'm basing this guessing on how I make my ladybug cupcakes.

Thank you so much for the help I am going to try this method also. I watched a video of how to do a larger one I am going to do both sizes. Thank you so much Busymom

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 7
fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 7

That youtube is Bcjean she is a CC member!
I know you said you wanted bc ladybugs but I just posted a cake full of fondant ladybugs and they were super simple to make !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%