First Fondant Cake. Share Your Opinions.

Decorating By Rylan Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 11:36pm by Rylan

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:06am
post #1 of 14

Note: I posted a forum earlier about the cake and It showed the back of it and the angle of the camera made it look a little off. So Now I got a picture that was done on the right angle and the front view

Here was the old forum where the picture was taken from the back side of the cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-623532-.html

This is my very first Fondant cake. I was ambitious to make a 4 tier cake. The sizes are 12, 10, 9 and 6. Pound with raspberry filling and vanilla buttercream. I wasn't thrilled about it but I'm glad it was done.

As you can see, the 3rd tier is the only one-pieced covered fondant (I tried to cover the 3rd tier with fondant first). I could NOT lay the fondant onto the cake without cracking or tearing. I attempted it twice and I failed. I almost cried after putting it on. It had tons of cracks and holes. Since I can't smoothly cover the cake with fondant, I decided to keep the 3rd tier with cracks and do the rest of the tier using strips of fondant. The first 2 tiers were covered with strips of fondant to look like drapery white the top tier is layered with long horizontal strips. The flowers were made using Edna's youtube video. THANKS Edna.

The original design is not as close as the outcome. I was hoping for a brush embroidery technique on the 2nd and 4th tier. Unfortunately, since I can't make a smooth cake without the holes, I had to go with plan B, which I mentioned earlier. The third tier had tons of holes so I decided to cover it with petals. This cake has a lot of flaws, I just had to hide them.

I hope one day I can lay a whole piece of fondant onto a cake without tearing.

Any more suggestions, comments and advices?

Here is the new picture
LL

13 replies
ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:41am
post #2 of 14

Looks pretty good!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:19am
post #3 of 14

icon_surprised.gif your first Fondant Cake was a Wedding Cake ?- wowwwww how ambitious of you -
My first *covered cake* was for a little girls 2nd birthday - so straight off the bat i give you 10/10 for attempting that.

It has that *shabby chic* look to it - and please don't take that as a condemnation - i mean when i sit and look at it it really does.
I say - credit to you - i would have fainted if someone had of asked for me to cover a Wedding Cake as my *first timer*. lol
I probably would have shaken from start to finish and then wondered where do i start....lol ....and then fitted when sttempting to cover my first tier.... lol lol lol

Again - credit to you.

Bh.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:27am
post #4 of 14

Not bad for the first time, look alot better than my 1st fondant cake. Congrats.

Rylan Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:33am
post #5 of 14

Thanks for the kind words everyone. This is actually a birthday cake for my sister. I really really appreciate your comments

Bluehue Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:20am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Thanks for the kind words everyone. This is actually a birthday cake for my sister. I really really appreciate your comments

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
So sorry - in my state of utter surprise at such a large cake covered for the first time - i thought it was a Wedding Cake
Many apologies.

Was she agasp when she saw it RylanTy at all the effort you put into it?
I bet she was.

Very sorry again.
icon_redface.gif
Bh

Rylan Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:43am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
So sorry - in my state of utter surprise at such a large cake covered for the first time - i thought it was a Wedding Cake
Many apologies.

Was she agasp when she saw it RylanTy at all the effort you put into it?
I bet she was.

Very sorry again.
icon_redface.gif
Bh

No worries BlueHue, its not a problem at all =]

She was a little shocked I believe. I'm not quite sure why but its either because its so horrible or maybe because it was bigger than she was expecting. =]

Bluehue Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:40am
post #8 of 14

I am thinking it was due to the overall size.
What a lovely sister you are thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Bh.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 14

i like how you made that folded drapped look on the bottom two tiers and i love those little flowers that are scattered throught out (i know to hide holes but you're the only one who knows) the boquet on top is stunning (i think i'm gonna check edna out she's fantastic!) and the green horizontal draps are a nice contrast! you did take on a lot for your first but i think you did great. and i think you sister was shocked at the skill, not the "flaws" we are always our own worst critic ( i get that from my hubbie all the time)

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:31pm
post #10 of 14

WOW! You ARE ambitious.... but for a first attempt, you did really well!

If the fondant you were using gave you problems, try another brand or method. (But on a small cake icon_smile.gif I only use chocolate fondant and it performs like a DREAM. I'm happy to help if you need it. I have 35 years of experience under my belt icon_smile.gif
You are off to a very good start. Now you need to find a product that will work with you, not against you.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:00pm
post #11 of 14

Bluehue- Awhh Thanks. You made me smile so much my mouth fell off the ground =] oh and by the way, I'm not a sister I'm a brother =]

MichellesArt- Thanks for the compliments. I was looking at my mouth that fell off the ground and I'm surprised it is still smiling.

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 14

I think it turned out very nice!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:58pm
post #13 of 14

I think it looks fantastic! I love the pleated fondant layers as well as the marbled look. Great job, you should be very proud of yourself! icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:36pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you so much. Does anyone have any advice?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%