Magic Line Or Fat Daddio's?

Decorating By PennySue Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 11:54pm by DsLady614

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:56am
post #1 of 15

All of my pans are ML, but the shop where I buy them is always understocked so I'm going to start buying them on-line. I've seen the FD's on GSA and wondered if there is a big difference. Both are 16gauge so that fine. Any thoughts would really help.
Thanks!

14 replies
GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:05am
post #2 of 15

I love the FD ! I love them! You get perfect straight sides ... but I only used ML once so really cant compare the 2 - I just know I wouldnt trade my FD for anything else! Sorry couldnt be of more help - just wanted to share my opinion!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:12am
post #3 of 15

Here we go again. There must be 50 posts of this same question. icon_smile.gif

The short answer is Magic Line.

The primary reason is bacuase ML do not need special handling. Per the owner of FD, you need to bake FD pans at no higher than 300 for best results. So if you are baking a couple of cakes in different brands of pans, then you need to remember that the FD pan requires a different temp. Major PITA if you ask me.

Also the FD square pans have rounded corners, although the edges are straight. Kind of strange.

There was a comparison with pictures on here several months ago that developed into one of "those threads" clearly demonstrating the difference between the two brands of pans. The ML released the cake which was evenly and lightly browned.

I will say the FD pans are easy to clean, probably because of the very slick finish.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:50am
post #4 of 15

What Leahs said! icon_biggrin.gif

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:03am
post #5 of 15

I much prefer magic line - I bought one FD to compare and the cake came out much darker. I love my magic line pans! (and I threw all my crappy wilton pans in the garbage!)

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:04am
post #6 of 15

Magic Line!!

angelcakesbyerika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesbyerika Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:20am
post #7 of 15

Magic Line is the best of the two hands down, and I own both. I trashed the Wilton pans while I was still taking the class. Magic line is the BEST.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:28am
post #8 of 15

Magic Line, all the way! No need for heating cores or bake even strips or any of that other crap!

BTW, you can order either brand from Amazon and get free shipping on orders over $25 AND all pans are buy 3, get one free!!

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:47am
post #9 of 15

Thank you all. I love my ML pans but didn't know where else to find them. I didn't know they could be ordered on Amazon. I'll look for them. I knew I'd get a quick response this way. I figured there were past posts, but wanted current opinions. Thank you again, I really appreciate it.
PS

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:48am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

The primary reason is bacuase ML do not need special handling. Per the owner of FD, you need to bake FD pans at no higher than 300 for best results. So if you are baking a couple of cakes in different brands of pans, then you need to remember that the FD pan requires a different temp. Major PITA if you ask me.

I want to respond to this part. I emailed Fat Daddio about this and this is NOT the case. There is no reason that you cannot bake your cakes to whatever temp you need to. He told me that they will withstand temps to 500...which is WAY hotter than you'd use for a cake. I have a set of 9" Fat Fat Daddio rounds and I love them! I bake at 325 per WASC recipe and have no problems.

I won't speak to the other issues, these may well be true. I have no square pans, so I don't know about that part. However, as pleased as I am with the rounds, I will likely buy some squares, simply because the corner of your cake is slightly round doesn't mean your icing has to be.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:58am
post #11 of 15

I love my FD pans! All of them have been wonderful for me. I have never us ML but would imagine from everything I have heard that they are wonderful too! I don't think one has to be "Better" than the other. I think the most important thing is to be comfortable with the results that you get from whatever pans you use. Whatever works for you is what's BEST for you and your situation (just my honest opinion).

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:03am
post #12 of 15

Magic Line

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:27am
post #13 of 15

I love my magic line!!! You say that they have some on amazon. Gotta go and check it out cause I need some more square ones. Thanks for the information

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:46am
post #14 of 15

Dear V_Star,

Here is the thread with the pictures of cakes baked in a ML pan vs. a FD pan.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=584463&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

And here is the original thread that started a big brou-haha on CC that contains the following response from the owner of FD.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588334-.html

"GregSkipper wrote: Our pans bake differently than ML pans. Our pans conduct heat differently and more efficiently. That being said our pans should be baked at 325 degrees for standard ovens and as low as 300 degrees for convection ovens. In addition, our pans should be baked for a shorter period of time than ML pans. This efficiency has been proven by numerous large commercial bakeries around the world, all of whom have switched their production lines to our pans. If you bake at 340 or higher in our pans crowning will occur."

So yes, you can use the FD pans in a very hot oven, but as I stated, they work best at lower temps.

If I was just starting out and purchasing a complete set of pans, then there really would be no reason not to purchase FD pans as all pans would all treated the same. My point is that I'm not just starting out and buying all new pans, and very few of us are in that position. I have ML, a few Wilton, some Allied and the one FD. There won't be any more than one FD in my pastry closet.

For the record, if you get a pan that looks exactly like ML, bakes exactly like ML, but is unmarked, it's more than likely Allied. And those are also excellent.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 15

Dear Leahs,

I am well aware of the brou-haha about these pans. That alone is part of the reason I made the statement I did. There are a LOT of hobby bakers on this site who bake at 325. Your first post made it sound as though that is not possible and I don't think that's fair to the company. Yes, FD is not your pan of choice, nor will it be many others, however, to not give ALL information is, in my opinion, wrong. I am not arguing that either should be the ONLY pan. I was simply presenting information that I had received from the company. For a hobbyist, if they can get a reason pan cheaper, they should, and they shouldn't be scared off by being presented by only half the facts.

Thank you very much for your concerns, you are definitely a fountain of knowledge for those of us with less experience.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%