Describe Your Wedding Cake Or Share A Photo?

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 2:35pm by Jen80

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:32am
post #31 of 51

I loved my wedding cake! I just got married last June and we planned it all in 3 months. The lady who did my cake was actually found by my 12 year old sister, lol! She went to a school carnival at a school by her house and the lady who did my cake made a bunch of really cute decorated cakes for a cake walk. So my sister did the cake walk just to be able to get a cake to bring home and show me!
We ended up using her and she was fabulous! She only charged me $125 CAD and now that I am a member here, I realize how much she undercharged, I feel like I should go and pay her more, lol!
The only thing she didn't do was, instead of the bow on top, I wanted one of those big loopy bows and I wanted the ends of the bows to cascade down the sides a bit. But she couldn't do that so she did the smaller bows instead.
Also, she matched our colours exactly! even the pearlized effects of our decorations.

ETA: It was all fondant (with real ribbon trim on the bottom) and the cake was orange with lemon filling or lemon with orange filling, I can't remember which, lol! It was super yummy, although I never would've picked those flavours if the cake walk cake wasn't that flavour, lol!
LL

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:20am
post #32 of 51

Yes they are edible flowers. She did an amazing job. We were going to keep them but they were at my parents house when it burnt down 2 weeks after the wedding! Everyone was fine and they have a beautiful house now but I lost my wedding dress and wedding shoes as well. Oh well, could have been heaps worse ... and it could have happened 2 weeks earlier!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:36pm
post #33 of 51

Here was mine:

Knowing what I know now, I would have asked for more decoration. I was one of those silly brides that thought simple decorations would be EASIER! I really was thinking of the decorator, though, I swear. icon_smile.gif

The cake tasted really good, and it was soooo pretty. I loved it.

teddybr218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddybr218 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:22pm
post #34 of 51

I got married last August. We had one of the large Wilton cupcakes with pink frosting, that my mom and I made. With glass tiered cake stand, the big one on top and little ones scattered all around on the cake table. Each table also had a centerpiece that we made out of pink frosted cupcakes.

This was a second marriage for both of us and we had different priortities. The cake was good and it was cute. We went for simple and it was all about being with our families when we made our commitment

realjen01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
realjen01 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:36pm
post #35 of 51

I got married May '06 and I loved my wedding cake. We were having dessert with our meal, so I knew cake wouldn't be the main dessert. The bakery I wanted to do the cake wanted like $7 a slice, which really wasn't in my budget. So I bought a cake plate from Michael's and one of each size cake the bakery made. Voila! All under 100 bucks and super delicious!
LL

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:41pm
post #36 of 51

We got married on a 3-day cruise to the Bahamas, so the cruise's chef made my cake and it was delicious! I made the topper, though...

It was simple how I like it, but nice...and did I mention it tasted amazing??
LL

Juds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:41pm
post #37 of 51

I made mine, all traditional (for me) fruit cake, covered with almond paste and fondant. It just had some simple piping (dot swirls) to represent butterfly trails. hope that made sence. icon_smile.gif I had butterflies floating above the cakes.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_150653.html

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:46pm
post #38 of 51

We really didn't want a wedding. Elopement was at the forefront of our minds.We spent $188 on our wedding because we HAD to, and that included $60 for my dress and misc. fees with marriage license, officiant, etc.

My parents held the reception at their house and we did a potluck dinner which was held BEFORE the wedding because we were getting married at 8:30 at night (among other reasons). It was an open invite by word of mouth only. No official invitations.

The cake was...

are you ready for this?

full sheet ice cream cake from Dairy Queen! Me and my husband really really love ice cream cake and I didn't want to spend anymore money than we or my parents had already. We are simple people, really. We did keep it for a year but threw it out because it was freezer burnt. Not gonna eat that on my 1st anniversary LOL but I was told to save it because it was 'tradition'
LL

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #39 of 51

OMG! My cake was so ugly that I don't even have a picture of it.

It was done as a gift. And the lady thought she did wonderful.
It was a creamy off white buttercream. with these homemade fake floral sprays of burgandy tulle no flowers just goobs of tulle.

Really dark burgandy yuck. From then on I decided i hated that color.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juds

I made mine, all traditional (for me) fruit cake, covered with almond paste and fondant. It just had some simple piping (dot swirls) to represent butterfly trails. hope that made sence. icon_smile.gif I had butterflies floating above the cakes.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_150653.html

icon_surprised.gif WOW!!! That is one of the most fabulous and unique cakes I have ever seen. And the stand is just beautiful.

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:49am
post #41 of 51

I remember that my cake was so terrible! We had a friend of my husbands family do the cake. Big mistake because if it's terrible you can't get all upset like you would with someone you don't know. Anyways it was a three tier heart shaped cake with a fountain underneath. ( I know, what was I thinking) The cakes were supposed to be a light very pale lavender with pale blue scrollwork. It was a very dark lavender and dark baby blue, and I requested that it was to be very smooth because I didn't want fondant and there were great big vertical spatula lines up every tier and the scroll work was crooked. To top it all off she cut her hand and had her 15 year old daughter set up the cake 2 hrs late. Luckily the reception hadn't started yet. To top it all off I paid $250 (in 2001) for a piece of garbage that a grocery store could have done better and cheaper. After that I swore that no bride would be as dissapointed in their cake as I was in mine and have turned my life to cake saving one innocent bride at a time, but isn't that what we all do. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:17am
post #42 of 51

My wedding was in 2001. I had a 3 tier round stacked cake. It was buttercream with red roses on top. I love flowers so we had real flowers on the cake. There was a big bunch of roses on top and rose petals were kind of sprinkled around the rest of the cake. We paid $120. I didn't see the cake until we entered the reception. It was beautiful. This was a few years before I started decorating cakes.

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:59am
post #43 of 51

The only picture of my cake is from my photographer and I'm not allowed to scan them. icon_sad.gif It tasted AMAZING. Yellow cake w/ rasberry filling. 3 (or 4?) tier hearts with buttercream icing and buttercream roses. The bakery told me that their buttercream can't be white, it would look more yellow. Having had made icing from scratch before I said that was fine. I was thinking just that off white, not bright color. Boy was I wrong! This cake was YELLOW. with purple roses (that was right) Yellow and Purple were my school colors. I felt like it was at a school function (ok, except I got married and was hours away from a honeymoon) icon_smile.gif At the time I was happy w/ it and didn't think much about it. I was just happy that my special day was finally happening. Looking back at pictures though I feel frustrated with the colors.

We still went back to the same bakery every year and ordered a small cake to celebrate our anniversary. icon_smile.gif

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:17am
post #44 of 51

I got married in August of 2003. I didn't know much about cake decorating, and I searched and searched online but never found anything I really liked. A friend of my FIL owns a bakery and did the cake as a favor for only $125. He's an elderly gentleman so it was a tad old-fashioned. The top layer started tilting/sinking... this picture was taken before the reception started. By the end of the night my BIL had put some flowers on the right side to try and make it look even.

It's mostly the flowers on the cake that I didn't like, but that's my own fault. When I met with the florist I totally forgot to mention I needed flowers for the cake. About two days before the wedding it dawned on me... the florist was nice and said she'd come up with something!
LL

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:11pm
post #45 of 51

We were married September of 2005. My cake was made by a coworker for $125. I'm very happy with the way they turned out, their flavor, and everything the decorator did - she had even given us 3 different 6" cakes for the tasting.

We actually used a plant stand for cake stand! Sounds crazy, but it was a brushed silver color with small leaves (we had a fall garden wedding) on it and it was very pretty. The smaller cakes are sitting on styrofoam rounds so they sit above metal and to have a place for roses to be inserted. I don't remember the exact sizes, but I think the large round was 14" and the three small rounds were 6". All were different flavors and tasted wonderful. They had whipped cream icing that was light and fluffy, but looked so smooth.

My grandmother made the chocolate fudge golf themed groom's cake in the background. She is very creative, but not a cake decorator. She took the task very seriously, enlisting the help of a church member who does cakes and made 3 or 4 practice cakes. Gotta love grandmas!
LL

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:36am
post #46 of 51

I made my cake. It was a fruit cake covered with almond paste and fondant. It had fresh flowers on it. I also did the fountain under the cake. I did string work on my cake too but it didnt picture well but its there. I got married in 03.
LL

Juds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:40am
post #47 of 51

Hi Kath, I remember that cake icon_smile.gif Happy B/day!!!
Thanks Juleebug. My Dad and I made the stand.

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:12pm
post #48 of 51

I know this is an older post, but I love wedding cakes and stories!

I had no interest in cakes (other than to eat them) at the time. So I let my soon-to-be-hubby do a part of the wedding planning. He picked out the bakery and wedding cake. I have to say it tasted absolutely amazing! If I had any sort of addiction with cakes like I do now though, there would have been a different story, I'm sure. But this way, I didn't have to wonder through endless pictures, changing my mind a million times (not to mention driving my DH crazy)! So, here is his choice...
LL

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 10:04pm
post #49 of 51

I hate, hate, hated my cake!!!! It was a 3 tier, covered in white fondant, decorated with white royal icing loops. Somehow the picture that I used for inspiration looked SO much better than the cake I actually got. The only good thing about the cake was the taste; it was delicious.

I've already got plans to remake my wedding cake for our 10th anniversary, but I plan to do it the way it SHOULD have looked.

Sorry I don't have a pic to share.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 12:59pm
post #50 of 51

I've been married 24 years...I can't hardly remember what HE looked like 24 years ago much less the cake...

I know it was a tiered cake with red flowers (roses?) and was supposed to have a fountain, but it didn't work. We had a small reception at my fathers house so I know it wasn't very big. I need to dig up a pic of it.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 2:35pm
post #51 of 51

When I got married I knew NOTHING about cake decorating. I've never even met my "Cake Lady" icon_lol.gif, but I got exactly what I wanted and it was delicious too.

Whiskey Chocolate Mud Cake YUUUMMMMM!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%