Please Help - Need Advice About Refrigerator Odors

Decorating By aliciag829 Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 4:37am by mclaren

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:01am
post #1 of 11

Hello. This evening I baked two 1/2 sheet cakes. One yellow, one chocolate. They are for a party tomorrow, so I don't need to ice & decorate them until tomorrow, so once they were completely cool, I wrapped them rightly with plastic wrap and put them in my refrigerator. I had also made pasta salad, which contains broccoli and put that in the fridge as well, wrapped in plastic wrap in a bowl. I went to take something out of the fridge a couple hours later and I noticed a horrible broccoli smell. Do you think my cakes will be safe since they are wrapped tightly? Or should I take them out and hope they don't harden at room temp? I would appreciate your opinion.

10 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:14am
post #2 of 11

take them out and leave them wrapped in plastic at room temp, they will be fine, dont want to risk the odors getting into the cake.

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:11am
post #3 of 11

This isn't really specific to your cake, but you can put some activated charcoal in a jar with cheesecloth across the top in your fridge. No more odors. Period.

My DH and I saw this on that Food Detectives show. When it dawned on us that "hey we use that kind of charcoal in our fish tank!", I got a very small mason jar (like maybe 1 1/2 inches high), filled it with the charcoal (which we had in an industrial size container), put a piece of cheesecloth in place of the metal lid and put it in our fridge.

We have not smelled ANYTHING funky in our fridge since that day. It has been at least 3 or 4 months - I stil haven't had to change out the charcoal!!!

HTH,

Karen

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:17am
post #4 of 11

Do you have to do anything to the charcoal? Wet it? I'd really like to try this the baking soda sometimes just doesn't cut it.

Judi

cakesbykk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykk Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:20am
post #5 of 11

I would take them out as long as they are wrapped they will be fine. keep in mind they are baked goods so unless you had some sort of extreme heat situation you will be fine. I would always cover them though as they will dry out.
I also have used baking soda to keep in my fridge for odors and put a new box in every month. hope this helps.
Karen thumbs_up.gif

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:25am
post #6 of 11

No. That's the really cool thing about it. It has something to do with all of the microscopic surfaces of the charcoal.

I literally poured the charcoal pieces into the jar, cut a piece of cheesecloth to fit, and screwed the metal ring on. It took maybe 10 minutes at most, and that was because I had to find a jar and my cheesecloth!

Baking soda really didn't do much for us either. There have been NO discernible odors since I put that jar in the fridge. Even with leftover Chinese, Thai, etc.

Karen

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:38am
post #7 of 11

They sell commercial filters with activated charcoal for your fridge, so it would definitely work. You can pick up some for as cheap as $5. I know The Container Store sells them, and I recently saw them at BBB. If you had it on hand, why not make your own? icon_biggrin.gif

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:41am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgieger

This isn't really specific to your cake, but you can put some activated charcoal in a jar with cheesecloth across the top in your fridge. No more odors. Period.

My DH and I saw this on that Food Detectives show. When it dawned on us that "hey we use that kind of charcoal in our fish tank!", I got a very small mason jar (like maybe 1 1/2 inches high), filled it with the charcoal (which we had in an industrial size container), put a piece of cheesecloth in place of the metal lid and put it in our fridge.

We have not smelled ANYTHING funky in our fridge since that day. It has been at least 3 or 4 months - I stil haven't had to change out the charcoal!!!

HTH,

Karen

We saw this too, and did the same. Our charcoal is technically for aquariums, but it has worked wonders! I have it in the fridge, freezer and have even put it into new knee high nylons, tied off the top and put it into my son's stinky shoes. thumbs_up.gif Great stuff... icon_lol.gif

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:48am
post #9 of 11

Thanks so much for the ideas everyone! I took my cakes out. I will try the charcoal thing very soon.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:58am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgieger

HTH,
Karen

(totally OT, but do you think this would work for a cat-litter box?!?? icon_biggrin.gif I have charcoal "liners" at the top of the air vents... icon_cry.gif you'd think it'd work! icon_cry.gif )

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:37am
post #11 of 11

what.is.activated.charcoal.?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%