Square Cakes Covered In Fondant

Decorating By Shellyw Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 5:18pm by __Jamie__

Shellyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shellyw Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:40am
post #1 of 17

I don't work with fondant very much. But this last cake request needs to be covered in fondant. I can get my cakes very square with buttercream. But when I put the fondant on, the corners sag and my cake ends up looking like a square cake with rounded edges. Am I doing something wrong or do I just need more practice. I am disappointed with the way this cake is coming together. icon_cry.gif

Thanks for any advice.

16 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:15am
post #2 of 17

One of the reasons to do fondant is because you want rounded edges. The weight of the fondant will naturally round the edges.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:26am
post #3 of 17

Yup, that's the nature of the beast. On Sugarshack's fondant dvd she does show how to make the edges a little more "square" but I don't think you it will ever be the same as bc.

Shellyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shellyw Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 17

Thanks for the help. The picture the customer brought me had perfectly square cake. I wonder if it was styrofoam. Thanks again.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 17

If the fondant is thin, it will help create better lines for you. You do have to work with it a bit, it won't just fall on the cake that way. Work it with the smoothers.

Best wishes....

Jen icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 17

my square cakes always have a rounded edge (with fondant) you can get them to be more crisp. but like leahs said, the weight naturally pulls it down. Im sure AINE2 on youtube has a video for covering a square cake with fondant. its pretty good. i find it helpful if you use TWO smoothers like in sugarshacks dvd, so you can square the edges up

BabeyCakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabeyCakey Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:47pm
post #7 of 17

Does anyone else have the problem of fondant crinkling on the bottom edges of a square cake? I'm still fairly new with working with fondant. All the pics I've seen have such perfectly smooth corners...mine look like they have little pleats at the bottom corners! Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks!!

Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 17

ive had this problem many a time!!! its simply a case of keep pulling the fondant out and smoothing all the way around!!! i normally have one corner in the back thats got a slight fold in ( i try n make sure its always in the back so its not seen !!) i think its takes quite a bit of practise to get this right, but aine2 youtube video shows it perfectly and she doesnt have folds! give it a look defo worth a watch!

JenniferMI Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:50pm
post #9 of 17

Sounds like you are just not getting it smooth??? I take each pleat and pull it from side to side to smooth it out. It's really a very easy process, you just have to take things one step at a time. When people see how easy fondant is to do, they can't believe they waited so long to learn iticon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:52pm
post #10 of 17

Caths -

If you are getting it smooth in the front and sides, you should be able to do the same technique on the back and have perfect fondant.

Not sure how you are doing it....

Jen icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:54pm
post #11 of 17

i do the way you describe, i keep pulling and smoothing, but for some reason in the back, i always get a 'bump' of fondant. im trying to think of way to describe it, its almost when i smooth it down to get the fold out, its causes the fondant to almost push along the side of the cake. i dont do square very often, think i just need more pracitse realy icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:57pm
post #12 of 17

Pull the fold from side to side, don't push it down. This will smooth out the fold, then use your smoothers to refine the area.

Try it, it might help you.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:58pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks very much jen!! il try it!!!

JenniferMI Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:02pm
post #14 of 17

Best wishes Caths.... I think we should strive to get our cakes perfect all the way around, not just the front icon_smile.gif

You CAN do it girl!

Jen icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:29pm
post #15 of 17

work like this: corner, corner, middle
corner, corner, corner, middle

etc.....

BabeyCakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabeyCakey Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:44pm
post #16 of 17

OK I've been pushing down...no wonder!! That must be where my creases are coming from. Thanks for the info! I'm going to keep practicing because I really love working with fondant otherwise. Thanks again!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 5:18pm
post #17 of 17

Make sure you aren't rolling out a piece that is way too big too, the more hanging down that collects on the table, the worse it is to smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%