Would You Turn Down An Order

Decorating By mcook1670 Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 9:21pm by Butterpatty

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 6

I work at Target as a decorator, and this week I did a four tiered wedding cake, took 10 hours to do the whole thing. Here the thing I had a lady want to order a cake for Sunday, I was almost over on my hours I had maybe an hour left, off tomorrow (sat) because I already have forty hours no overtime, my manager is an ok decorator, but there's still 6 more cake orders for sat and Sunday, so I told her no. I got a huge butt chewing for the executive manager for turning down a cake order that I didn't have the time to do. What would you have done? Was I wrong? Here's the wedding cake that I did

5 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 6

It depends on the boss. When you are your own boss you get to decide what to take and what to turn down. When you work for someone else you need to consult them first. My employees ALWAYS check with me *just in case* even if it's pretty obvious we were booked up for a weekend. Maybe they would've been ok with you staying over for this extra revenue? Who knows. The management of hours is their problem, not yours.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 6

I agree..Unless they authorize the over time and are willing to pay you then they can't expect you to stay. Sad but true!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 6

First I guess it would depend on whether you are allowed to turn down orders or not and 2nd if no one other than you could decorate it and you were expected to come in on your day off to do it.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:44am
post #5 of 6

yur maager probable thinks he is better than just an OK decorator...LOL

but, this is the perfect time to ask if you are authorized to stay overtime to complete an order that you won't have time to do in your normal hours....for future reference

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 6

If it is like the Target where my sister works, NO overtime is EVER approved and they would get in trouble for even a few minutes over. I would start running EVERY order by the manager in the future and then if there is trouble, it is on their head and not yours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%