How Much For This?

Business By TexasTam Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 4:33am by FromScratch

TexasTam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasTam Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 11

How much would you charge for this cake for 200 people?

10 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 11

There are so many variables with trying to give you a price... If you bake from scratch, where you are located, etc... What is the going rate in your area?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 11

Beautiful cake! Have you checked local bakeries in your area to see what they charge? Then you'll have some idea of what to charge as well. Good luck!

simplysweet72740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweet72740 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 11

I would say no less that $300.00 and that on the cheap side, but it depends on your area? Good Luck

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 11

I charge $3.50 per serving for fondant (which is what that looks like) so that would be $700 plus I would charge for the custom separators as I probably wouldn't be able to use those again. If I had to supply the flowers I would charge extra for those as well.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 11

i bake from scratch.. i bake from extenders. my customers pay me for the expertise in decorating a cake , that they don,t know how to do... $200.00 is a cheap price for this cake.. it looks like fondant.. i charge less for buttercream... more for fondant. what size tiers are you going to make for 200 people.. thats a factor too. you charge per slice for each tier.. they may have some left over. but, you charge accordingly to the tiers. so look up the tier sizes you need, etc. and go from there.. like i said, fondant covered is more .... if you make g/p flowers .. then more for that.. you, just have to take in consideration.. all the work ... you will be doing.. hth

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 11

I'm right in line with cupcake900. I would charge $3.50 a serving for the cake and extra for the flowers & such..

That order from me would be about $800 with delivery & set-up.

If you are not comfortable charging that much or If it was for a a friend I would still quote that price and maybe give a % discount so it isn't devaluing your work it is just giving them a VIP discount and it makes them think they are getting a really good deal !

AHHH the psychology of cake pricing ...

TexasTam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasTam Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:54am
post #8 of 11

i live in the DFW area. I don't bake from scratch...I use box mix....only because it tastes better to me. It is fondant. I will be driving it about 20 minutes away to set it up. And she wants me to supply the flowers.

does this help?

This is not for a friend it is person that was referred from a friend. I was thinking somewhere between $500-$700, but I thought I was shooting high....but after reading some of your posts maybe I am in the right ball park.

Thanks for your help. Anyone else?

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:11am
post #9 of 11

Even if you are using a box cake mix (Have you tried the WASC recipe its wonderful) and premade fondant (I hope not Wilton BLECH) a lot of local bakeries use mixes and premade fillings and fondant also. I would stay closer to your $700 price . You are supplying the flowers , delivering and setting up and that cake is still gonna be a lot of hands on work. I would say $700.

HTH

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:16am
post #10 of 11

I do scratch & fondant starts at $4.00 for me. This would be a $4.00 price for me with a total of $800 plus $30 for set up & delivery (& thats a 30 minute radius by the way).

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:33am
post #11 of 11

For 200 that would be $1000 not including flowers and the custom support set up. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%