Making Candy Clay

Decorating By TonyaBakes Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 1:31pm by Pearl70

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 56

I have never tried to work with candy clay but I was going to try the recipe from here - 10ozs semisweet chocolate and 1/3 cup light corn syrup. I was going to try and make a grounghog cake topper for my BIL's B-day in 2 weeks. I was thinking candy clay might be a little easier to sculpt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

55 replies
HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 56

I want to know answers as well.

I promised Barbie and Ken dressed for one of my suppliers. I can do him, heck all I need is tails for the tuxedo for camouflage She on the other hand is becoming a heartache.

I'm trying to recreate a designer gown. This isn't a problem, I used to create my own clothes from the high fashion magazines. That was work!
What I'm trying to do now is a nightmare.

Fabric gives and never dries out. I'm working with sugar on curves 2yr olds can't handle. It's too heavy and rips. Can I get it thin enough, yes! Can I get it to stay supple, no way.

I'm thinking Sugar Veil, but can't find my post where she told me I could actually ask questions.

So if anyone actually answers you, direct them to me as well.

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 56

I am no help here, but for mentioning that Seriouscakes has a youtube video of making candy clay and making roses out of it. Maybe she can help you with your questions.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #4 of 56

You can roll candy clay pretty thin, I've used it for the tops of my doll cakes:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1265849
This whole doll and dress was made from candy clay:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1209589
The dress wasn't quite what I was going for but it worked out....

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:46am
post #5 of 56

It's a nightmare for someone with hot hands. I love the stuff, love the taste, and love that it hardens upon cooling. But it's no M&M, that's for sure. Talk about melting in your hands! I know I'm a Hot Mama, but I really wish I had that effect on men! icon_lol.gif

I have to work with it in production line fashion. For roses, I make all my centers. Then I go across and put the first petal on them all. Then I go back and do all the second petal, etc, etc. By the time I get done with the row, the first one is cool enough for me to go onto the next step.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:50am
post #6 of 56

hahaha, I'm the same way!! My husband says my hands burn him! You gotta admit though, it comes in handy when trying to soften the candy clay icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:30am
post #7 of 56

Oh, Serious, I can lick the stuff off my fingertips when I'm done with it!

Hey, HowCoolGomo1 -

Are you working with straight fondant?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

TonyaBakes Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:09am
post #8 of 56

Serious Cakes, I watched most of your youtube videos - you are so talented! Thanks for the tips, as for the melting in your hands I don't I'll have a problem. My hubby says that my hands and feet are as cold as ice. He's the heater, I'm always sticking my hands and feet on him to get them warm. LOL!
I'm going to attempt a grounghog tomorrow ( I'm sure I will need to make a few practice runs). I'm glad to know that it tastes good , my BIL is a chocaholic so I'm sure he will try and eat the groundhog!
Thanks so much!

TonyaBakes Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 56

Well I just made my first batch! It's cooling now, can't wait to try and make my groundhog. I will let you know how it goes!

playingwithsugar Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 56

Does your recipe tell you to let it sit overnight before using it?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:59pm
post #11 of 56

Love the videos!!

mariahrose17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariahrose17 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #12 of 56

How long does it taste good after it's made? I was planning on making candy clay roses for my parent's annivesary cake, but since I can only bake/decorate/whatever during my daughter's naps, it may take a day or two...?

TonyaBakes Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:12pm
post #13 of 56

Playingwithsugar, the one I read said atleast 2 hours, would overnight be better?

Mariahrose, the recipes I read said that it would keep for 2 weeks in an airtight container.

SeriousCakes Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:15pm
post #14 of 56

The recipe I use is good for 3 weeks, after that it's still workable but a little more crumbly and the taste is not as good.

mariahrose17 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:17pm
post #15 of 56

great! Thank you both for letting me know. icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm
post #16 of 56

Every instructor I had at school taught us that chocolate clay should be allowed to mature overnight, so that is what I always go with.

Oh, and it freezes beautifully, so if you don't use it all, you can wrap it well and store it for future use.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:03pm
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Oh, and it freezes beautifully, so if you don't use it all, you can wrap it well and store it for future use.

Really? Ah that's good to know, I've been throwing my leftovers away!!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:03pm
post #18 of 56

I use the fruit flavored tootsie rolls when I want something like candy clay. I just warm them for a few seconds in the microwave, knead them, roll and cut. They dry shiny and really yummy. They make really pretty flowers.

playingwithsugar Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:12pm
post #19 of 56

I use fruity tootsie rolls, too. Their bright colors make great hibiscus. And Starburst warm nicely. I've even rolled out bubble gum through a pasta machine and made bubble gum roses. In fact, all the condiments on my cheeseburger cake are made of candy and fruit snacks.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

TonyaBakes Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 11:34pm
post #20 of 56

WOW! You guys are so thoughtful and creative. I never would have thought of tootsie rolls or starburst. I will have to keep that in mind, sounds really good! I will have to do a search and see what kind of photos I can come up with, I'm dying to see how it looks. Thanks again!

playingwithsugar Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 11:37pm
post #21 of 56

Oh, and the bacon strips on that cheeseburger cake were made from caramels and tootsie rolls. Caramels also make good flowers.

The only trouble with using those types of candies is that the pieces have to be kept in a cooler environment. I had made some really great anthuriums for a cake show I was going to enter, but as soon as I got it outside (at the end of August) they wilted as though I had put them on a hot griddle.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:42am
post #22 of 56

I just want to say, "Thank you, Serious_Cakes." icon_biggrin.gif

I had never made candy clay (or even worked with it) until today. Thanks to your youtube video, I knew that when it seized, I had it right. In all the discussions and recipes I've read about candy clay, I don't recall ever seeing this tip. Had I not watched that video, I probably would have thought I had done it wrong and tossed it out.

mariahrose17 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 5:55am
post #23 of 56

Last night I made my first batch of candy clay. When I pulled it out of the fridge tonight I was so upset and sure I had done something wrong because it didn't seem to be softening up, but after a bit it became workable and I just made (and uploaded pics of) my first few roses. Super kudos to serious_cakes for her great instructional youtube videos!

SeriousCakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:47am
post #24 of 56

Awesome! I'm glad you guys liked it!! You know when I first started making this stuff I did throw away a batch thinking I did it wrong! But when my next batch looked the same I decided to give it a try and viola, it was fine!
Oh, and you don't need to keep it in the fridge, it's fine left at room temp thumbs_up.gif

juleebug Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:48pm
post #25 of 56

Well, I didn't have a whole bag of candy melts and I actually only needed a small amount so I just melted 10-15 candy wafers and added a teaspoon of syrup. Knowing that "If it looks like it seized, you're doing it right," saved me having to run to the store and make a whole batch.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:59pm
post #26 of 56

i have to ask . . what on earth is candy clay? im really stumped at it. . . What is corn syrup? im from the uk and have never heard of it :/ how do you use it once its made ?

mariahrose17 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:29pm
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

i have to ask . . what on earth is candy clay? im really stumped at it. . . What is corn syrup? im from the uk and have never heard of it :/ how do you use it once its made ?

According to ask yahoo, the uk equivalent of normal corn syrup is golden syrup, and dark corn syrup is treacle. Candy clay is pretty much what is sounds like...it has the consistency of clay but is edible and great for making flowers and figurines. I made my first batch and have been having a great time playing with it. Serious_cakes has a great youtube video on it

icon_biggrin.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:41pm
post #28 of 56

Oh wow golden syrup!! love the stuff! and treacle! love that even mooore! Oh i may just have to try this!!! sounds like a really great idea

juleebug Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:52am
post #29 of 56
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:12am
post #30 of 56

i love working with candy clay.. the sushi cake in my pictures...tuna, salmon. sushi,etc. was candy clay. i knew it tasted better than any brand fondant. so that is why i chose to use it on this cake.. i alway take chocolate demos at the convention. learn something new every year.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%