How Do I Make Gold Paint For My Fondant?

Decorating By Tamkia Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 7:48pm by amberlee416

Tamkia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tamkia Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 6

I have to make a GOLD horseshoe cake, what's the best way to paint my fondant gold?

5 replies
cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, welcome to Cake Central.

I would first color my fondant a yellow or gold color so that if you didn't get good coverage with the gold "paint", it won't be as obvious. Next you take gold luster dust (I think Michaels sells some of this now, it's not as good but you can usually find it locally if you don't have a good cake supply shop in yoru area) and mix it with Vodka or Lemon Extract. Personally I think the vodka is cheaper and works better. Then you paint it on your cake with a clean brush. You should practice on some scrap fondant until you get the feel of it. Good luck and don't hesitate to PM me if I can help you any more.

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 6

1 way would be to paint it w/gold luster dust. Another way would be to mix up the color you want using color gels with a little Vodka or pure lemon extract & paint it on.

_ROYALTY_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_ROYALTY_ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 6

I finished my golf cake yesterday and used the silver luster dust to paint the golf clubs and it worked great, I took some of the Luster dust and put it into a small bowl, then added a tiny bit of lemon extract (you can add a little at a time until you get the right 'painting' consistancy) if you add too much it will be really runny and streak. then just get a clean brush and paint it on. it looks beautiful when you are done! hope this helped!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 6

At Michaels it is gold colorded pearl dusts, not real 24 k gold, which you can get at some cake supply shops, more pricing, but it's the real thing.

I used the silver pearl dusts for the "chrome" on a motorcycle cake I did this past weekend. Warning, the alcohol evaporates fairly quickly so keep your liquid handy. I actually used gin!

amberlee416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlee416 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 6

Some wal marts carry it now too icon_smile.gif I have limited stores so i frequent wally world icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%